• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockbirds..a sign?

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
I have noticed that my cockbirds have a tuft in their underpart. Even the cockbirds going through a moult..

Does anyone with cockbird canaries notice the same tuft? It is clearer on the adults..but I can definitely see it on the juveniles. Is this be a sign of unsexed canaries? The hens I have do not have a tuft around their vent..the tiny feathers are splayed.

Strange topic but a canary knows by looking at another if they are a boy or girl like we do...

Serin

Male canaries have what are called guide feathers around the vent which help to transfer sperm when mating, so you may be on to something, but in my canaries it has never been very noticeable and certainly not without picking the bird up and flipping it over to see.

Actually a canary doesn't know another canary by looking at it. It's entirely behavioral. When two new canaries are introduced (during breeding season) and you know one is a male, the male will start to sing aggressively and chase the other canary. How the other canary responds lets the first canary know what it's dealing with. Normally another male fights back while a hen, if she is receptive to mate, will crouch and solicit the male to mount her. If that occurs, the pair will be bonded, and the male will now know she's a she, and they will usually never interact so aggressively again.

Problems arise when you introduce a female who is not in breeding condition to a male who is. She won't respond right, and he will attack her, thinking she must be a rival male. So it's important breeding pairs are always in sync.

Most birds with monomorphic plumage seem to be the same way, though it's possible some have ultraviolet-reflective markings invisible to us but which may distinguish the sexes to other birds able to see in that wave length.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Thank you @Serin..my birds are not introduced to one another so i suppose we will see this differently. Very interesting to know though and will certainly take what you have said on board. Ive wondered if the canaries can see more than our vision allows. Id love to see a Blue through their little eyes.
I have witnessed natural behaviour and like you have said behaviour is key. Hens and cockbirds do respond differently. I find it very hard to believe they dont know until agression or submission play out. I can tell which of my juveniles are hens or cockbirds. I have kept 4 of this year's hens due to their features and behaviour. They simply look like hens to me due to their certain features and observations. I have also witnessed that young hens stay closer to their mum during roosting even when weaned or they are allowed to stay near by the 2nd clutch. I have also seen a clutch 1 hen feed a clutch 2 chick..wow

Serin

What do you mean yours are not introduced... do they all live in single cages?
It applies to a flock setting too but only during breeding time. Males will act aggressive and display to new birds and see how they respond to determine their sex. Outside breeding time they don't care much and all mingle as a flock. Canaries are only territorial when breeding.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
@Serin
Hi

Mine are living as a flock all year round. I understand what you have said that behaviour is key and that they suss each other out.

Thankyou