• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo

Gypsyqueen

Moving in
Real Name
Cookie
Good Morning,
Thank y’all for letting me join the site. I do have a question, I am adopting a 12 1/2 year old cockatoo, the Owner can no longer care for Casper, I have not seen her yet. He has not given me the time to meet Casper just pick her up and go tonight at 6:30pm. He says she is tame and loves to cuddle. I have 2 Eclectus at home, should I keep Casper away from my other babies until I get her(Casper) to the vet for health check up Tuesday, and should I not handle her to much at first or give her the love and attention that she deserves.( if she allows me). Any advise on how to handle her coming to a new forever loving home. ( she has a very large cage he is give me) I also went and bought toys and a huge tree perch, pellets, of course fresh vegetables ( not for sure what her diet has been like)

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Yes! Keep her away untill you are sure se is fully healthy :)

Also, take things slow... getting used to a new owner can take many months if not years :)

Keep the bird seperated untill fter all the checks are done, and then start sowly introducing the bird to his new environment. Take things one ste at a time, ad dont expect him to be your cuddlebug mate right away, such things take time with birds this intelligent :)

Be sure to endulge us by making loooots of pics to share, welcome to the forums :) we are willing to assist you with all the help you need!

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Welcome to AA! We love pictures here! Thank you for giving Casper a forever home! What kind of cockatoo is she?
For your Eclectus' safety, keep Casper in a separate room for 1-3 months or unless you have a full work up done by the vet (this gives you time to spot illness before it can spread to your original flock). As far as affection; go at her speed. She'll let you know when she's ready to be comfortable with you.
@cassiesdad Is a great 'too dad and can probably give you really good advice too.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Image00004_20190106012754320.jpg

Gypsyqueen

Moving in
Real Name
Cookie
Thank you both for responding. She is going to the vet Tuesday for a full work up. I just couldn’t see this man letting her go free in Houston, Texas. From what I was told he was going to do. He said no one wanted to buy her. It’s truly sad how someone would buy or get a pet and treat it like trash, not saying he did, but was going to let it go free. When I go to the flea market and I see all these birds in very small creates cages and they look so sad I just want to buy them all.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
:eek: Just let her free?! It's insane to me when people suggest that--on top that no one cares that that's technically illegal to do--I'm glad you found her!
Ugh, I try to avoid places like that for that reason :( can't save them all. It's why I stopped browsing craigslist; too many birds in what looked like a less than ideal living situations.
But! That makes the ones we can save all the more special! So you pick her up today?? That's very exciting! I hope you'll share pictures with us! :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I've got to go right now...but I'll be back in a bit...make sure you have someone with you when you pick Cookie up...just to be on the safe side...;)

LynnInColorado

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn
Welcome and thank you for rescuing Casper. Until her vet visit, perhaps you can keep Casper well away from your flock, but somewhere that you can spend a lot of time within his sight? You don’t need to handle him, which will avoid any cross contamination and give him some time to adapt. Good luck!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. Yes definitely quarantine her from your other birds. At least 30 days is recommended. That also includes washing hands and even changing clothes between handling her and your other birds. As for handling her, just follow her lead. My cockatoo was ready to play basically the minute he got to our house. But each bird is different.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you, Bella, and Elvis...and congrats on your upcoming addition!

Now, buckle yourself in and prepare for a most interesting ride...'Toos are definitely a serious challenge.

First...QUARANTINE is very important...at least 30 days is what I'd recommend.
That also includes washing hands and even changing clothes between handling her and your other birds.
Good on you to schedule a complete workup with your vet.

Most birds will have a time of "shutdown" when they are rehomed...they'll be very quiet, withdrawn, and perhaps refuse to eat and drink for a short period of time...I'd expect you to see this in Casper. Our first 'too (Cassie) sat in the back of her cage for almost three days...perhaps mourning the "loss" of her trusted person...even though she was banished to the basement by said person.
Milton's shutdown lasted only a day or so...as soon as we gave him some "baby" oatmeal, he ended his hunger "strike".
As for handling her, just follow her lead.
...excellent advice...remember the shutdown...if she desires company, she will show you.

Now, your patience...and your ability to think "outside the box" will be tested...every day. :) You're getting an adult 'too...with, in all probability, baggage attached...your challenge...to help Casper unpack that baggage and get comfortable in your home. :)

Good Luck...we'll look forward to updates on how every thing is going...and yes, we'd love to see pics of her when you're able to post some...;)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for rescuing the cockatoo. Quarantine for at least 30-45 days and take the 'too to vet for a new bird check up which you have already set up. Find out if the 'toos' persons has any vet records. Find out about the 'toos' diet and follow that but transition to a healthier diet if that is necessary. Best to just not start feeding the 'too a lot of unfamiliar foods at first.
What type of 'too is this? Be aware that the 'too may be fearful of the new items you are putting in the cage. My 'toos are sometimes fearful of new things.
Good luck.

Gypsyqueen

Moving in
Real Name
Cookie
Hi y’all,
I brought Casper home, she has been plucking at her feathers, hopefully I can get her to stop it. I gave no hesitation paying a Rehoming fee of 1600.00 I get her home and her cage set up but she was a scared little thing, so I holding her and talking to her and she just layer her head down one me and just snuggled. Hopeful I can make a big difference in her life. Her are pictures of her.

Attachments

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Casper! :)

She is beautiful. :heart:

Plucking is a most complicated situation. Make sure that at the vet visit tomorrow that she's tested to make sure that the plucking isn't caused by a physical ailment.

And yes, as long as the follicles aren't destroyed, there's hope that Casper's feathers will grow back...when we adopted Cassie, our first 'too (an LSC) she was nakkid from the chest all the way down to her feet...it took three years, but by the time she passed, all that was left featherless was a spot less than the size of a dime...:)

Gypsyqueen

Moving in
Real Name
Cookie
Casper hasn’t had any water since bringing her home, she did eat a piece of carrot from me but that’s it so I decided to hand feed her some formula (Exact hand feeding formula) she took it well. Should I be feed her the formula? Just worried about her, staying in one spot and not drinking at least