• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cockatoo took over my life...

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
...In a good way?

Haha, sorry for the title. I made this account a year ago... I recently decided I think this forum would be a great place for me, especially navigating life with my newish 'too.

Roughly 8 months ago I got ownership of a young rose breasted cockatoo rehome. He was about 6 months, unforeseen circumstances made the original owner who bought him from a breeder have to rehome him. He was in good health, although it took a long time to get him to eat good food.

He turned a year old about a month ago, and wow has it been a journey. Admittedly when I started searching for a rehome RB2 I really, really wanted one that was fully mature adult, but he worked out. He is my biggest parrot , and is nothing like any bird i have had, in both good and bad ways ;). He's been trying, and a challenge but as a whole it has been an experience I wouldn't trade for the world. I've learned SO much, and I'm learning more everyday.

I'm currently trick training/clicker training with him, and wow is he a smart lil guy! We JUST started walking him in a stroller ( we tied his carrier in a stroller) on local trails. Going to start seriously working on socializing him with people as he's started to get territorial over me. He's also starting to get his flight feathers ( was clipped when I got him) and I'm very excited for him to be able to fly- he currently likes to do these... flying hops..? that's the only way to describe it hehe!

I know he is still a juvenile, I know it will get MUCH harder as he goes through birdie puberty, but no matter what I'm sticking with this pink dude! He has changed my life radically, and like the title, he seems to have taken over my life, in a very much wanted way c: is it like this with all cockatoos lol? They really do suck you in don't they...

I guess this is an introduction post? I'll probably be posting about him and asking questions in the future :)

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
Welcome! I'm also owned by a pink feathered ball of fun with another on the way in August:). Val is a cutie!
Thank you !! two! Oh my, I can barely keep up with Val sometimes xD

@JLcribber may give you some good advice.
I'll take all the advice I can get! :)
I've read his posts , he knows his stuff, id love to hear what he has for advice! :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
is it like this with all cockatoos lol?

It's like that with all birds and their owners. We seem to love them no matter who they are or where they came from.

@Tanya has a Pinkatoo also and she has lots of medical experience with Rhubarb.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! I love how you're working with your bird and providing enrichment. Flight will be a good thing, too. Waiting on the molts is a drag.

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash

It's like that with all birds and their owners. We seem to love them no matter who they are or where they came from.

@Tanya has a Pinkatoo also and she has lots of medical experience with Rhubarb.
Very true! There's something about him, I don't think anything could stop me from feeling how I feel for the little pink guy!
Don't get me wrong, I love my little guys the same!

See that's why I knew this forum would be a good place :) I need to know as much as much as possible. There aren't a lot of RB2s where I live... The rescue I volunteer at has two, amd my vet has experience with them but that's about it. I've just been doing most of my research on 'toos in general.

Welcome! I love how you're working with your bird and providing enrichment. Flight will be a good thing, too. Waiting on the molts is a drag.
Thank you!! I'm trying my best for the little guy :) ! Yeah... He's almost fully flighted... still waiting on 2-3 feathers on each wing!! He already can get some height, but I'm not sure he realizes yet how much he can fly haha... I'm just hoping he truly fledged... From what I've seen I'm pretty sure he has.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He has changed my life radically, and like the title, he seems to have taken over my life, in a very much wanted way c: is it like this with all cockatoos lol? They really do suck you in don't they...
That pretty well sums it up. You realize very quickly once getting a cockatoo that you're either in with both feet forever or get out now because this is going to be a long difficult journey.

You ain't seen nuthin' yet. :D

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Welcome back, I've been on a hiatus myself with general life! :coffeescreen: I love those pink Toos they are beautiful birds. Yes, as birds mature they can go through some times where they seriously challenge us :handup: I was pretty scared of the U2 we took in from our Family down in FL she is actually the sweetest bird ever and never bites.

Best of luck and pictures would be great!

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
That pretty well sums it up. You realize very quickly once getting a cockatoo that you're either in with both feet forever or get out now because this is going to be a long difficult journey.

You ain't seen nuthin' yet. :D
:)
oh yes I'm aware hehe, but I'm definitely in it for the long run! I'll admit, when he hits puberty , i am a bit nervous as to what's to come though. But he's definitely with me forever.

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
Welcome back, I've been on a hiatus myself with general life! :coffeescreen: I love those pink Toos they are beautiful birds. Yes, as birds mature they can go through some times where they seriously challenge us :handup: I was pretty scared of the U2 we took in from our Family down in FL she is actually the sweetest bird ever and never bites.

Best of luck and pictures would be great!
Thank you!! RB2s are gorgeous birds.. Still amazed by the colors on him everyday!

I'l be doing my best to conquer those challenges! :)

The sheer size of U2s scare me a bit... Those big black beaks!! Although I've made friends with two at the rescue I volunteer at :)

Thank you for the luck as well, I'll probably need it ;) I'll try to take some nice new photos

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Thank you!! RB2s are gorgeous birds.. Still amazed by the colors on him everyday!

I'l be doing my best to conquer those challenges! :)

The sheer size of U2s scare me a bit... Those big black beaks!! Although I've made friends with two at the rescue I volunteer at :)

Thank you for the luck as well, I'll probably need it ;) I'll try to take some nice new photos

Pics would be awesome. I met her back some 13 yrs ago before we got her almost 3 yrs ago. The black beak sure it was a bit scary when she first came home but I also have two Amazons, one being a large Mealy so I really had no fear just needed to get to know her again.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Valentine!

I'm glad you're you're buckled in and ready for the challenges Val will give you...

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Welcome! I know Nothing about cockatoos. But I love the goffin and galah!

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Welcome. I love the toos. I will be getting a RB2 at the end of April...supposedly.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:welave:
Sounds like you have a special little friend, and she's lucky to have you too!

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
They will steal your heart for sure! We worked early with rhubarb and she still loves to "turn around" "wave" and "shake hands" with strangers. We worked with her quite a lot for harness/leash training. Once she was comfortable in a harness we'd all go to the park together (one that didn't allow dogs). She could perform to a whole new audience every time and loved getting scritches and pistachio pieces from everyone. She's still quite comfortable with new people of all ages. :)

(She did have some serious health issues but thankfully is much better theses days.)