• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo help

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on building a cockatoos confidence when it seems to have faltered for some reason.. I have a lesser sulphur crested cockatoo that is getting close to 3 now. She is the sweetest and always been outgoing and wild. She has always been out and about with me most of the day. Well I am pregnant and had some issues come up and she was not out much because of it for about a month. Now that I'm up and moving again she is super attached to her cage! Not aggressively at all, but seems anxious when shes not on it which was never an issue before. If we are where she can see it, she stares at it. If I have her with me and move away where she cant see it, she seems anxious for a little while but then is perfectly fine and back to her crazy self! Then as soon as we head back in that direction she gets ready to hop on it and then goes nuts on her cage (like fun goes nuts/ running around, hanging upside down, partying it up with her toys). I dont know if she just got used to being in it because of that month or what. She can fly but doesnt ever try to fly to it.. she will fly off of it and land on the ground and run as quick as she can to it and climb back up and repeat :lol: that's one of her favorite things to do Haha. Also while I'm asking I'll throw in, she is the worst at baths hahaha it's like she loves the idea of it but not the follow through. She gets so excited when she sees water and acts like she is taking a bath, but she won't get IN the water. So she basically takes an air bath :rofl: I'll sprinkle some water on her while she does it and she allows it but she doesnt want to be in the water, running or standing water! Never had a bird do this! Not super concerned because she always keeps herself clean and well maintained, just curious as to why she might do it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's not a bad thing that she likes her cage, I don't think. She clearly feels secure in it. I would say just keep doing what you're doing. Don't force her to move away from it but let her know that fun can happen away from the cage. Does she have a play stand? Maybe she would just like another play area? Or a stand somewhere? As for baths, my cockatoo likes to be misted. Maybe she would like that too?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Why do you think her confidence has faltered? It doesn't appear that she is acting like a bird who is depressed or cowed. I agree with sunnysmom, just keep doing what you are doing, and she will get use to enjoying life outside of her cage once again.

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Just because of the way she acts very anxious and her demeanor changes completely unless the cage is completely out of sight or shes on it.

Aslo I have tried misting and she was not a fan!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm not sure if your pregnancy has any impact on her, but the hormones you have, and any anxiety you have may be felt by her.
Just go easy and give her space and time. Once the baby is born and your back to yourself she may also calm down.
Pregnant woman give off all kinds of emotional vibes, I'd actually be surprised if she wasn't noticing.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
LSC2s are known for being nervous. I would not force her too much. Short trips away from the cage with a treat in hand might help her associate it with good things. Also, if you can put a play gym or acceptable play area next to the cage and let her choose to come and go from the gym it might help. Favorite treats on the gym are always good. She might be a little weird about your changing appearance too and not sure what to do with the new you.