• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatoo cere Help

DarkenedStar2

Moving in
Hi, so my aunt and uncle own a cockatoo it was my aunt's fathers before he passed away so she's a very old bird and I noticed that there was something wrong with her cere. I've told them to take her to a Vet but they're not concerned to take her until her appointment next week.

51979909_516200495453153_2299808880810524672_n.jpg 52025799_1441489169319144_1722499258285817856_n.jpg 51706761_2760148054210478_6326547858493276160_n.jpg

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks like nasal discharge to me.

DarkenedStar2

Moving in
I thought so too but it's actually very much larger maybe double the size of the other side.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
She needs to see a avian vet asap. I don't like the green crusted feathers. It could be a sinus infection. It also could be something called rhino-lith also. Rhino-lith can cause respiratory distress in birds. I lost my beautiful baby girl to respiratory distress less then 2 weeks ago. Please get her to a avian vet. ..

DarkenedStar2

Moving in
I'll let them know immediately then, thank you. I knew it was abnormal because one the size and then colouring plus she keeps scratching.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope she’ll be okay! Please keep us posted.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending healing thoughts! Please let us know how she makes out.

:gbh: For you! Nice catch!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think she should definitely see a vet. Thank you for trying to help her.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Can you sponge this off with a damp cloth? I can't tell the color, but could it be blood? She should probably see a vet, but I like to do a bit of an examination myself first. I'm wondering if she has something lodged in her nostril and has irritated her cere with constant scratching.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How's she doing? Any updates yet?

DarkenedStar2

Moving in
She went to the vet today and they told them that she had an infection. They drained the pus she had in the cere (nearly a teaspoon full) and given her antibiotics. She has to go back in a week.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
She went to the vet today and they told them that she had an infection. They drained the pus she had in the cere (nearly a teaspoon full) and given her antibiotics. She has to go back in a week.
Great news! Now their eyes through you saw there was a problem and their bird was not okay. Going forward, they will be more aware of what to look for should this repeat itself in the future.

As for the home care and cage being clean and sanitary, toys, water bowls and diet etc. I am sure you are a great advocate!

Thank you for your persistence with this! :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so glad they took her to a vet. Thank you for helping her.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Super that they understand now that she was sick and they took her to vet.
Super clean her cage, perches, dishes and toys. F-10 will sanitize, but simple solution of white vinegar and water will do the same thing. Equal amounts of vinegar and water. I use vinegar to sanitize dishes also. I keep a small spray bottle of vinegar by the kitchen sink.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wow, that’s a lot of puss, I’m so glad you took her in. I hope she gets well soon and stays that way!

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
She must have been in quite a bit of pain. And given it's location, it could easily have killed her. It's good that you saw it and forced the issue.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
It could take a while to completely resolve... I had a guinea pig with an abscess that took weeks of antibiotics and wound flushing to fully resolve. Hopefully it won't go this route.