• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatile baby handfeeding

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Hi, I have a 3-4 weeks old cockatiel baby. I fed him when his crop is empty with syringe. But I want to know how many ml (mililiter) I should feed him and how many times a day for 3-4 weeks old baby cockatiel. Thanks

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm sorry, alarm bells really are ringing loud now. How many birds do you have? How many have you lost?

Last edited:

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
Hi Monjur! I am not knowledgable in hand feeding so I tagged some members who very knowledgeable in hand feeding. Hopefully they will be able to respond to you soon. :)@iamwhoiam @Monica @Zara @Mockinbirdiva

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Feed the bird when he cries. Feed him until the crop is full (not overfull).

I personally do not go by ML or time frames. I let the bird lead the way. I just make sure the crop is empty every morning before first feed.

As long as the crop empties once per 24 hours then you don´t need the crop to empty every time before food.
You could be starving the baby.

Some reading;
Feeding
Breeding

Be sure to keep a diary/journal, log feeds, weight, and over the next few weeks as you introduce weaning foods, note any foods eaten or tried.
Weight chart

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Monjur, did you see the messages today? I am a little worried for you.
I really think your chick is in a state of hunger. I think he may be crying a lot?

As long as the crop empties once per 24 hours then you don´t need the crop to empty every time before food.
You could be starving the baby.

I hope you did see the messages and have fed the baby well.

There are some good links posted here too, it is good information to read as soon as you can.

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Monjur, did you see the messages today? I am a little worried for you.
I really think your chick is in a state of hunger. I think he may be crying a lot?

I hope you did see the messages and have fed the baby well.

There are some good links posted here too, it is good information to read as soon as you can.
Hi Zara, I fed him with full crop not overfull. I just fed him 4-5 ML but he got half crop full by 4-5 ML. So, I should running this process..

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
And I have a little problem I keep him in a cardbox but when I keep him in it I notice some ants attack him How can I keep him safe from ants???

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
And I have a little problem I keep him in a cardbox but when I keep him in it I notice some ants attack him How can I keep him safe from ants???
This is not good! Can you keep him in a plastic tub?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You want to feed about 10% of their body weight at each feeding... as a general guideline.

Plastic tub is best and you want to keep the baby warm which may require additional heating, but not hot.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Go to the shop, see if you can find something like this;
fghdgf.jpg

You see, a plastic box, but the lid has grid to let air inside. They sell on amazon and places like that online if you cannot find noe in local shop. I´m sure there will be a website that ships these boxes to your country.
Then purchase some wood shavings (like for hamster, rabbit and rodent) and line the bottom of the box.
Pick out any poops you see daily. Empty, clean and refill the box once or twice a week.

Here is a link for natural ways to get rid of the ants; 6 Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Ants - Western Exterminator Company - Las Vegas Henderson Nevada

The cinnamon looks ike the easiest and best one, it says just get ground cinnamon (powder) and put on the ants and in their path

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Surround the box with cinnamon powder, ants hate it and won't cross it.