• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiels feather sticking out, please helpp:(

Saharr98

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone,
My 4 month old cockatiel was flying today and he hit a wall. I noticed that one of his primary feathers were sticking out and it looks kinda loose. I am not sure what I should do. Should I leave it snd it will fall out on its own or do I have to pull it. I’m scared that if he trues to fly he will loose balance. Please help me A312B17C-C885-4E52-8D30-A4ACF200EAC2.jpeg

Saharr98

Meeting neighbors
I would just leave it. It should be fine.

@Tiel Feathers ?
Thank you. The feather seems to be broken in the same spot that his other feathers are clipped. He is still able to stretch his wings and fly a bit so I am not too worried. Do you think I should take it to the vet or completely leave it alone. (I’m sorry if i’m asking too many questions, I am just inexperienced)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would leave it and it will probably break off on its own. You can also cut it at the break. The feathers that grow in after a birds wings are clipped often break because they don’t have the support of the other feathers. Hopefully in several months your bird will have some strong flights that will support the growth of the rest so they don’t keep breaking.

Saharr98

Meeting neighbors
I would leave it and it will probably break off on its own. You can also cut it at the break. The feathers that grow in after a birds wings are clipped often break because they don’t have the support of the other feathers. Hopefully in several months your bird will have some strong flights that will support the growth of the rest so they don’t keep breaking.
Hello, thank you for your reply. I’ve left it so that hopefully it will break off on its own. If I see that it bothers him then I’ll cut it myself. The only thing is that will he lose balance after the wing breaks off because his wings won’t be even on both sides?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello, thank you for your reply. I’ve left it so that hopefully it will break off on its own. If I see that it bothers him then I’ll cut it myself. The only thing is that will he lose balance after the wing breaks off because his wings won’t be even on both sides?
He should be able to compensate just fine.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you. The feather seems to be broken in the same spot that his other feathers are clipped. He is still able to stretch his wings and fly a bit so I am not too worried. Do you think I should take it to the vet or completely leave it alone. (I’m sorry if i’m asking too many questions, I am just inexperienced)
No need to go to the vet. My cockatiel actually was missing all of his primaries on his one wing (we don't know why) and he was still able to fly and get around. They're pretty resilient even though they look so fragile. And it's fine to ask as many questions as you want. That's why we have this forum. :) The only time a broken feather is really an issue is if it's a broken blood feather and bleeds. It's good to have corn starch or something on hand to stop the bleeding. Even then, the feather shouldn't be pulled unless the bleeding won't stop and then it's best to have it done by a vet.

Saharr98

Meeting neighbors
No need to go to the vet. My cockatiel actually was missing all of his primaries on his one wing (we don't know why) and he was still able to fly and get around. They're pretty resilient even though they look so fragile. And it's fine to ask as many questions as you want. That's why we have this forum. :) The only time a broken feather is really an issue is if it's a broken blood feather and bleeds. It's good to have corn starch or something on hand to stop the bleeding. Even then, the feather shouldn't be pulled unless the bleeding won't stop and then it's best to have it done by a vet.
Thank you so much, I appreciate everyones advice. I clipped the feather by the broken part today because it seemed to be getting in his way. He seems fine now so that’s great!!

Saharr98

Meeting neighbors
Hey, he managed to break another feathed on the same side today. He now has no flight feathers on the left side amd two on the right. Do you know what I should do? Should I clip the remaining two on the right side so that they are the same on both sides or should I leave it? I tested his flight and he is able to fly pretty straight but he leans a little to one side. Im scared if I clip the other side he just can’t fly anymore and drops. I have no idea what to do:(

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You should leave them because they will help any new feathers that grow in from breaking. It will be fine if he isn’t symmetrical for awhile.