• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiels and 1 inch bar spacing

jb_avenue

Moving in
Has anyone actually kept cockatiels in a cage with 1 inch bar spacing? Did you have any problems with it?

I have seen on-line photographs of cockatiels in cages I recognized as having 1 inch spacing. So, clearly, some people do it.

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I think that it could be done, but it would not be preferable. The cockatiel would probably have trouble climbing, especially if they were vertical bars instead of horizontal. There would also be the chance that the bird could accidentally get its head stuck. Once I kept budiges in a cage with 3/4 inch bar spacing and one budgie became an expert at squeezing through the bars and escaping, so it could happen! All in all, 1/2 inch bars are usually a better choice because it allows the bird to grip and climb easier.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I would not do it

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
One inch is too big. It's not safe for them. I wouldn't risk it. I don't even put my goffin in a cage with one inch spacing.

Lev

Moving in
I'd say it's not very optimum. 10+ years ago my sister tried keeping her cockatiels inside such cage and her male ended up damaging the feathers around his neck due to sticking his head outside so frequently.

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
I wouldn't feel safe with that spacing. My guy is 110 grams and 5/8" is the widest for him. He's has a big head compared to a tiel.

Jay

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I wouldn't even keep my Jardine's in a cage with 1 inch bar spacing to be honest. It's not just about head size it's also about climbing.

I had a green cheek escape my home through a 1 inch long hole in a screen door for what it's worth.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I wouldn't even keep my Jardine's in a cage with 1 inch bar spacing to be honest. It's not just about head size it's also about climbing.

I had a green cheek escape my home through a 1 inch long hole in a screen door for what it's worth.
Oh wow, did you get it back?

Shilohbird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shiloh
i was advised by the rescue i'm getting pocket and jester from to do no more than 1/2 inch. i guess you could, but they're at risk of getting stuck or escaping