• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel wont sit on eggs!

Anna Ivanets

Moving in
Real Name
Anna
I bought my cockatiel female a mate last year. for the first time I have put a nesting box in their cage. they have layed 2 eggs in the past week, were waiting for more. They have been sitting on them until today. I decided to go out and buy a better nesting box for them and I have placed it in their cage with the eggs inside. The female nor the male have sat on the so far I'm am concerned that they have abandoned them because I changed the nest. Should I be worried?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
some times it takes 3 or more eggs b/4 they settle on them.

Last edited:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Unless you think the other box is unsafe I think I would put it back the way that it was. If they were only sitting occasionally and not on the eggs 24/7 then they may just be waiting until they lay more eggs. You could wait and see what they do with the next egg. If the lay it in the new place then you will probably be fine with the new nest. It is best to disturb them as little as possible. If they haven't really started incubating the eggs yet they will be fine. Most parrots don't start incubating right away.

Also if they are new parents then they may not quite know what today and you will just have to let them learn.

Anna Ivanets

Moving in
Real Name
Anna
Unless you think the other box is unsafe I think I would put it back the way that it was. If they were only sitting occasionally and not on the eggs 24/7 then they may just be waiting until they lay more eggs. You could wait and see what they do with the next egg. If the lay it in the new place then you will probably be fine with the new nest. It is best to disturb them as little as possible. If they haven't really started incubating the eggs yet they will be fine. Most parrots don't start incubating right away.

Also if they are new parents then they may not quite know what today and you will just have to let them learn.
Thanks! Willow (female) did lay her new egg inside the new nesting box I am very proud of her and cant wait 21 more days!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie