• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel with strange 'click' to voice/breath

cockatielclic

Checking out the neighborhood
I know the first advice is to always see an avian vet. I have made an appointment for one, but due to the vet being on holidays, she is out of town. I have the next available appointment, which is going to be the 5th of July. It's far, but shes the only vet within an 8 hour drive (remote area).

I noticed last night that my 9 year old cockatiel has a sort of click sound. Last night I had assumed that it was him playing with his toys after I had covered him up for the night (which he sometimes likes to do). This morning though, the first thing I noticed is that sound. I took him out, and I noticed it was coming from him.

The sound is not constant. It is intermittent. It can be once a minute to once every 20. The sound is like a quiet kiss/click, almost similar to a leaky faucet but more faint. Behaviour wise he is the same, poop is normal, singing, playing, exploring. No tail bobbing, no tell-tale signs of distress. I know with birds that they can hide illnesses very well, so that might mean nothing.

He has been a very healthy bird. We've never had any health scares with him. I haven't been around any other birds, we don't use any materials that contain teflon or are dangerous to birds.

I'm really stumped. I'm hoping I'm over reacting, but I don't think I am. I've read in my frenzy this morning that cockatiels can be prone to getting seed stuck in their systems?

Does this sound like a known illness/disease? Is there anything I can do while waiting for that appointment? I'm going to try calling vets in other cities to see if maybe they can suggest ANYTHING.

Thank you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad you're getting a sooner appointment. I'm afraid I don't have any ideas but will tag some people.

@CeciliaZ ? @Birdbabe ? @enigma731 ?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Get a humidifier going also. Make sure it is clean.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have had a tiel get a seed stuck - I took him to the vet the same morning and by the time we got there - he was fine. Watch him closely.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I agree it could be lung inflammation/infection. This can be a painful condition so its is wise to get the vet visit completed sooner rather than later. Good luck. Keep him warm.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keep monitoring and if you note any worsening of the condition then call the vet again and see if they can give you an earlier appt. Hope all will be well.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just watch him closely, maybe a steamy bathroom for about 15 or 20 minutes will help,,a video would really help.. I dearly hope he is ok.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ophelia had a clicking sound like that before -- respiratory infection. I wouldn't wait to bring him in.

cockatielclic

Checking out the neighborhood
Sorry for the late update! The clicking subsided after two days, but we still kept the appointment. Vet's guess was there could of been dust/seed/feather that was irritating him, but he isn't showing any signs of distress now. Healthy breathing and healthy weight. She even commented on how wonderful his feathers look!

We will be keeping an extra extra close eye on him, and if we see it begin to happen again, to bring him back.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad he's okay! :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran