• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel vomited. What should do I immediately??

Sonea

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Hello! It is night time here so I will have to wait until morning for a vet visit. Please give me advice.

My adult cockatiel has just vomited in front of me. I read vomitting and regurgitation is hard to differentiate.
He shook his head very hard and seeds flew everywhere so I am thinking he was throwing up. The seeds were whole, not digested at all.
I am mostly worried about that seeds came with some liquid. I unfortunately can't tell the colour but I am soo afraid of it being blood.

He looked okay beforehand. He looks okay now. And his poops look normal as well. He has been more cuddly this past days, sitting by me for hours but I thought he is finally warming up to me.
And he moved to a new bigger cage this week. He was sleeping at the bottom everytime I saw him. I thought he was not used to it yet.

Bird illnesses escalate so fast it is scary. Is it possible for birds to throw up without any ilness? We will go to the vet tomorrow anyhow. But I lost a budgie in a day before. I am worried as frick.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Shaking head is usually vomiting. Regurgitation is more controlled- like they're forcing something up their throat. In my experience, vomiting is often a sign of a bacterial infection. I don't think there's much to be done except to keep him warm and get him to a vet as soon as possible. If it is a bacterial infection, antibiotics should clear it up pretty quickly but like you said, it's important to get them help quickly when sick.

@enigma731 ?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If he over ate and stuffed his crop too much it can happen. It may be a single event. If it continues he needs a vet

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, it is possible for vomiting to be behavioral. Unfortunately there's no way to determine that without a vet visit and tests. Just try to keep him calm and warm tonight and see the vet tomorrow.

Sonea

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I am concentrating on keeping him warm. Thank you all a lot. I will keep watch. He is eating normally at the moment.
He is making small whimper like sounds. I don't know if it is related. He makes similar sounds to me sometimes but right now he is doing it while eating.