1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel taming

Discussion in 'The Training Court' started by James Fawkes, 11/3/17.

1. James Fawkes

James Fawkes Moving in

My cockatiel is so scared of me that when I go near him he flies off. We can' get anywhere near him and just want him to be friendly with us. We have had him for 4 days and is so scared of us. Need help drastically.

2. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Michelle
    Welcome to the forum. Four days is a really short period of time. Your tiel needs time to adjust. Try spending time just sitting quietly with him and talking to him. Even reading out loud to him. Try to minimize activity around him and no loud noises, etc. for awhile. Although total silence during the day can be scary to a bird too. So if he's alone, try playing some music or leave the TV on for him. As he settles in more, try hand feeding him some food he likes. But take things slow and move at his pace.

Tiel Feathers likes this.
  3. James Fawkes

James Fawkes Moving in

Do I try putting my hand in the cage just yet or do I wait. He got out the cage yesterday and I struggled to get him back. He drew blood from my finger in the process. I didn't punish him though. Also trying to find what food he likes is difficult as not tried much yet apart from the seed he was given when we bought him.

sunnysmom likes this.
  4. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Michelle
    I wouldn't put my hand in yet. Most bird are a bit cage territorial. For now, I would try to keep his routine the same as where you got him- if you know. Same food, same bedtime etc. until he adjusts to being in your home. Most tiels love millet spray so that can be used as a handfeeding treat- and also a good go back to your cage bribery treat.

Tiel Feathers likes this.
  5. James Fawkes

James Fawkes Moving in

Thank you. Will give this a go. Will keep you updated. Thank again it' been very helpful.

Tiel Feathers and sunnysmom like this.
  6. sunnysmom

Michelle
    Happy to help. :) Feel free to ask other questions. Tiels are wonderful little birds. Some just take longer than others to settle in to a new home.

7. sunnysmom

Michelle
    And your new tiel is a cutie. :) A little pied tiel like my Sunny was.

8. Garet

Garet Strolling the yard

Garet
    I wouldn't put your hand in, either, at least until you know if he's just scared or is cage-aggressive. Even my tiel gets grumpy with me when it's time to come out of her cage. Often, I have to leave her cage open and wait for her to come out while I get Guzma out of his. She loves spending time with me outside of the cage, but inside is a no-hand zone, whereas my lovie is more than happy to let me stick my hand in his cage and get him.

Give your boy a few days to adjust, train him to step up outside of his cage and then see if he tolerates you once he trusts you enough to step on your hands. If it's a no, it's not because he hates you or is a bad bird. Think of it as a little kid yelling at his mom to stay out of his room.

9. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Deanna
    Congratulations on your cute little tiel! You have received some really good advice so far about sitting next to your tiels cage and talking with him and saving millet for a treat. You can put some millet in his food cup once in a while when you walk by. Just take everything very slow, and remember never to force him to do any thing, but try to find a way to make it his choice.

10. James Fawkes

James Fawkes Moving in

Hi. Is there anyone who has advice on my tiel as he has escaped from cage and we'e only had him a week and half and he scared to come near anyone and still getting used to surroundings.

11. Zoepr143

Zoepr143 Walking the driveway

Zoë
    My first budgie also escaped in the first three days, she was not yet used to her cage so she wouldn’t just magically go back, she also wouldn’t let me bring her to the cage since she wasn’t tame yet. Is he still out of his cage? I’d try putting some snacks into his cage to see if he wants to go back

12. James Fawkes

James Fawkes Moving in

Yea he' still out I have millet which he loves in his cage and on top to try and coax him down from the curtain rail.

Zoepr143 likes this.
  13. Zoepr143

Zoepr143 Walking the driveway

Zoë

If there are no windows or mirrors etc. that he can fly into and hurt himself then he will be fine. Is he flying around a lot? Or is he staying on the railing?

14. James Fawkes

James Fawkes Moving in

Was flying around but now settled. Hope he goes back before tonight as I'm scared he won' know his way back and won't return for food or water.

Zoepr143 likes this.
  15. Monica

Monica Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Monica

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)