• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel stopped talking

Sops1306

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sophie
Hi I'm just wondering if it's normal for a cockatiel to stop talking? I brought him a female and things were great until I moved there cage and now he dosnt talk at all. Hes very quiet. Hes sleeping during the day..
Poo looks fine and hes eating and drinking fine. Do u have anything to be worried about? Is he just content on where he is..
The new bird gets on fine with him they sleep relatively close to each other and they both switch places when eating.. by switch places I mean the other will move out the way so the other can eat.

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Birds can get out of sorts when their cage is disturbed or changed around. If your bird seem that way why don't you move the cage back where it was?

Sops1306

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sophie
I can't otherwise I would I'm hoping it's just because they are settled.
I am going to monitor him for a couple weeks then a trip to the vet if he dosnt pick up x

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I don't see much in the way of activities in the cage. It may just be boredom(?)

*EDIT* I've just read a response you made to another thread. Have you changed the layout inside the cage (perches mainly)? Plus, vertical bars are really hard for a tiel to climb. Can you get them a cage with horizontal bars?

Last edited:

Sops1306

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sophie
There is loads of toys in the cage. I zoomed in and the cage is big so that's why you cant see them they are spead out all over. They zip about from top to bottom. The toys are mainly at the top..

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When did you put the female in there? Did you quarantine her for at least 30-45 days before putting her in the cage with him? Did she go to the vet for a new bird check up?
He could be upset that you moved the cage, could be upset that there is another bird in the cage or something else could be going on.
Always a good idea to quarantine a new bird from one that you already have.

Sops1306

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sophie
No I'm quite new at this and made the mistake of putting her straight in.. I got her from a breeder out of an aviary. Shes been in there almost four weeks now and they get on good which is a result. (Thankfully)

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Where was the cage before? Maybe he prefers the old place it was in? More to look at there?

When you can, I would change the dowel perches for natural branches. The irregular diameters of natural perches will help exercise their feet and so help deter problems in the future like arthritis.