• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel Regression

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
I am hand raising my 3rd cockatiel chick. Kata, my first hand raised baby is almost 8 months old. A couple of days ago, Kata was out while I fed the new baby. She jumped down and grabbed the syringe and wanted to be fed. She stuck her head down in the bowl and started to eat the baby food. I've heard cockatiels will sometimes regress under certain circumstances, but this has now become an issue with her. She wants to be fed every time I feed the new chick. She is relentless at getting fed like the baby.
Secondly, the new baby is weaning slowly. Kata weaned herself at 7-8 weeks, soon after she took her first flight. The new baby is down to 2 feedings a day, and will eat chop, but shows no interest in seed, millet, or pellets. I don't mind her going at her own pace, but she's 9 weeks and not sure if I should be concerned. She's healthy, happy, flying, playing with toys, and cuddly.....just wondering if any one had any ideas on the matter.
Thanks

Serin

Sprinting down the street
When i hand-raised tiels, they were not fully weaned until 13 weeks. 7-8 may be normal for parent-reared, but handfed can sometimes take up to twice as long!

Kata is not really regressing unless she refuses to feed herself, otherwise she just wants to be part of the process. Even adult tiels will, at times, want to be fed. I had a budgie who fed both of my tiels as adults, long past the time they'd normally be accepting food that way.