• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel question

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
I buy my cockatiel all sorts of toys and a broad variety of them. He has papery, wooden, cardboard, and shiny toys. However, I rarely see him play with them. Sometimes he'll chew on over for a little bit when I offer it to him while he's on me, but mostly he doesn't seem interested. When I come home after being gone for a while, he'll be sitting on the same perch in his cage like he's just been sitting there waiting for me the whole time. I don't think he does anything besides eat and drink when I'm gone. Is this normal for a cockatiel? Am I not offering him something right? I change out the toys and rearrange them in his cage, but he still doesn't seem interested. I just want to make sure he's active on his own.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just want to make sure he's active on his own.
If you are worried about him while you are out of the house, you could look into setting up a wifi camera so you can check in on him and see what he´s doing.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
In my experience, cockatiels don't tend to play with toys as much as a lot of other species. When my tiel Sunny did play, he liked things that he could easily shred. Like the finger trap toys or just paper. My current foster tiel likes balsa toys and he also has a leather toy with a bell that he likes. Your tiel also might not know how to play. Have you tried playing with toys in front of him?

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have two cockatiels. One female and one male. Out of the two of them Frost, the female, plays with her toys she most and by that I mean she shakes them and pushes them. Frost seems to take note of her toys but my male, Zephaniah, only likes to chew on toys but since he likes to chew on everything I dont think that counts as playing lol. I have noticed that while Frost is friendly and cuddly likes her space. Zephaniah doesnt know the definition of personal space and always wants to be around someone or have them watch him while he sings-if you dont he'll scream-So perhaps your bird doesnt like inanimate objects like Zephaniah and is more of a "watch me" bird or an laid back chill bird who just likes looking at his toys.

Or it could be he wants a different toy. Maybe you should get him a logic toy like a food puzzle.

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
If you are worried about him while you are out of the house, you could look into setting up a wifi camera so you can check in on him and see what he´s doing.
That's a good idea, I'll have to look into that!

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
In my experience, cockatiels don't tend to play with toys as much as a lot of other species. When my tiel Sunny did play, he liked things that he could easily shred. Like the finger trap toys or just paper. My current foster tiel likes balsa toys and he also has a leather toy with a bell that he likes. Your tiel also might not know how to play. Have you tried playing with toys in front of him?
I have played with other toys in front of him, and that is definitely a way I've used to get him interested! He also has no trouble playing with things he shouldn't be, like my pencils

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
My 'tiels like toys with balsa, seagrass, other natural materials and curly straws. They also like their stainless steel toys. I don't necessarily see them playing with toys as much as my other birds but it depends on the toy.
Kuiper likes this toy a lot but mainly for the seagrass and the straws:
Amazon.com : Super Bird Creations 8 by 5-Inch Curly Gurly Bird Toy, Small : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies
Callisto and Kuiper both like this:
Welcome to Tweety Pie's Bird Toys - Where the parrots shop
Burt had one toy for a while with seagrass that he always played with. I think I bought it too many times though because he barely notices it now. He would much rather wait for me to come home and play in my hair :hilarious:

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
I have two cockatiels. One female and one male. Out of the two of them Frost, the female, plays with her toys she most and by that I mean she shakes them and pushes them. Frost seems to take note of her toys but my male, Zephaniah, only likes to chew on toys but since he likes to chew on everything I dont think that counts as playing lol. I have noticed that while Frost is friendly and cuddly likes her space. Zephaniah doesnt know the definition of personal space and always wants to be around someone or have them watch him while he sings-if you dont he'll scream-So perhaps your bird doesnt like inanimate objects like Zephaniah and is more of a "watch me" bird or an laid back chill bird who just likes looking at his toys.

Or it could be he wants a different toy. Maybe you should get him a logic toy like a food puzzle.
I might try a puzzle toy. I've been trying to teach him to forge the past couple weeks so that might be a good idea!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My 'tiel Kraz is generally much gentler with his toys than my other fids; it can take him years to put a dent in one. Oftentimes it looks like he hasn't touched them at all, but I can hear him jingling the bells and knocking them around when I'm out of the room, and then when I go back in he's sat on his perch as though he hasn't moved an inch.

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
My 'tiel Kraz is generally much gentler with his toys than my other fids; it can take him years to put a dent in one. Oftentimes it looks like he hasn't touched them at all, but I can hear him jingling the bells and knocking them around when I'm out of the room, and then when I go back in he's sat on his perch as though he hasn't moved an inch.
I'm glad Burt ins't the only one. That makes me feel better

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Like @JaneLane my female plays with her toys more than my male. Recently she has got a lot of mileage out of a crude paper straw and string toy I made. If he likes stuff that are not technically toys, why not get him his own? Like pens without their ink cartridges inside, toilet paper tube, phone book for shredding etc. You could even get an old keyboard?

Kaylie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kaylie.G
How do i post somthn on my own acc? idek how :hehe:

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
Like @JaneLane my female plays with her toys more than my male. Recently she has got a lot of mileage out of a crude paper straw and string toy I made. If he likes stuff that are not technically toys, why not get him his own? Like pens without their ink cartridges inside, toilet paper tube, phone book for shredding etc. You could even get an old keyboard?
I actually did buy him a toy pencil, but since he's allowed the play with that one, he doesn't seem interested:lol:

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
How do i post somthn on my own acc? idek how :hehe:
You should just be able to go to your profile, click on the little arrow I circled, and a help option with pop up along with other options. If you click that it still help you with posting on forums and your account page. Hope that helps :)

Attachments

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
My tiels love things they can chew and shred. I buy mostly toy parts now. Balsa cubes and slats, mahogany pod slices, finger traps, thin pine slices, palm strips. I string these on leather strips - they like chewing on the leather also. Check out our vendors here.

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
My tiels love things they can chew and shred. I buy mostly toy parts now. Balsa cubes and slats, mahogany pod slices, finger traps, thin pine slices, palm strips. I string these on leather strips - they like chewing on the leather also. Check out our vendors here.
Thank you, I'll have to test some of these with him! I think he's starting to get a little more adventurous

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Hide millet ,pellets, dehydrated veges, any treats inside your toys :D Works like a charm for me. Millet spray in a finger trap, balsa wood holes, Vine balls, foraging tray with dehydrated veges on the bottom, crinkled paper on top, paper straws with pellets stuffed inside.

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
Hide millet ,pellets, dehydrated veges, any treats inside your toys :D Works like a charm for me. Millet spray in a finger trap, balsa wood holes, Vine balls, foraging tray with dehydrated veges on the bottom, crinkled paper on top, paper straws with pellets stuffed inside.
I have just started doing this and it has definitely seemed to spike some interest :pinksmile: