• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cockatiel problems

emzymayzy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
How do i stop my new baby cockatiel from trying to fly when it out of the cage and cant fly coz his wings got clips very wrong and he goes crazy if he cant join in with my other cockatiel when fig my older tiel comes out to play. it trys to fly and always flumps it to the ground and im worried it will hurt its self. It goes crazy in his cage aswell and keeps falling from the top perch to the bottom hangs up side down on his perch goes crazy and just falls and cant climb up coz the bars go vertically. i dont think keeping him in the cage is an option coz thats when he goes crazy in the cage and keeps falling off his perches. he has loads of ladders and perches in his cage to help him climb up and doesnt use them.. when he grows up i will try to add him to figs cage

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Baby tiels are notoriously clumsy. Do you have him finger/perch trained yet to have him come out of the cage? You might need to transport him to join in the play.
Of course, then you run the risk of becoming a 'tiel taxi service, like many of us are. :lol:

emzymayzy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
Baby tiels are notoriously clumsy. Do you have him finger/perch trained yet to have him come out of the cage? You might need to transport him to join in the play.
Of course, then you run the risk of becoming a 'tiel taxi service, like many of us are. :lol:
he is partly finger tame but doesnt stay on my finger coz i thinks hes more interested with his friends i will be a taxi lol he is the first i have earned whose let me stroke him so far with out biting me though so i dont wanna loose that part lol if i piss him off lol

tielluver

Strolling the yard
Real Name
pat pritchard
when my bird had that problem I made "birdie mountain". I put some pillows, boxes, anything soft between the cages and where the birds like to play, covered them with a sheet or two, and bought a large bird ladder (it is probably 2 feet or so high) by the cage door so he can get in and out himself. Or you can also stack pillows or fold up a quilt or something to height of bird cage door. I think this made him feel more like part of the flock, happier. You can have it so he can climb up and down from a bed, a chair, the couch. This way he may start to come to you himself as well, gives him confidence. and, if he tries to fly, he has a soft landing space.

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
We have a 3 foot wooden bird ladder for Buddy. She used to use it constantly to go up and down from her cage.