• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel nose is block

vijay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
vijay
Hi, I have a 3 year old cockatiel who's nose is block. here is some information (back story).
  • we were had some renovation around my place and in my apartment.
  • the renovation in my apartment has ended .
  • after the renovation brought to the vet, as nose was red and the nostril was enlarge. the vet gave some medical. gave my cockatiel for 1 week. vet advise to see her after 2 weeks.
  • 2nd visit to the . the vet said lungs is all right and no foreign object in the nose. might be an allergies reaction.
  • the vet advise is to clean the place and watch the cockatiel has any discharge
  • after 2 month later nose is not red but nostril is still enlarge but my cockatiel is eating fine and active. she is not sneezing.
  • I try to was the perch, toys, her cage daily and clean the room where the cockatiel is in.
my qus is my cockatiel still fine . it doesn't seem to bother her but I am worried.

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
Do you give the bird bathing opportunities? Or take him into the shower with you. Cockatiels have alot of "dust" and when they preen, it gets into their nostrils along with other airborne stuff. I have had a cockatiel and bird sit for 3 and they always seem to have what looks like a clogged nose. Giving them drenching baths seem to loosen it up and they sneeze it out.

vijay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
vijay
I gave the a bath 2 weeks ago the male look all right but the female nose was still big. however I did not drench her it was like a misty spray

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't see anything unusual about her nose in that picture, although I wonder what is going on with the feathers around her neck? Can you get a close up that includes both nostrils?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It’s hard to see if the nostril is bigger without seeing the other one to compare it too. She’s a cutie! I too wonder, why are her feathers in front curled up?

vijay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
vijay
as for the feather curled up. that happen 1 year ago. the vet said she might have a vitamin a deficiency but need to do a blood test. I am not a big fan of blood test .
also she has been eating pellets even since she was a baby

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
Yes, a photo of both nostrils would be helpful. I don't see anything wrong with the one pictured. Why do you have a problem with blood tests?? It gives the vet a picture of a birds heatlh along with a culture. Hopefully your vet is a CAV.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The feathers are more concerning to me than the one nostril pictured. That's definitely not normal.

vijay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
vijay
about the blood test the last cockatiel I had went for a injection. she had a problems with her eye but after the injection her eye was better but she got a lot most and she die. so I don't like any needles or injection. I did stop going to that vet.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Look at photos of other cockatiel and compare with your bird. Looks normal in photo.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
It could be allergies. But as for the pellet diet you are going to want to try and get her on some different foods like veggies and fruits that are okay for tiel's. It would help with the feathers if you don't want to have them do blood work on her which being a smaller bird I totally understand why you are worried. Everything will littles is scary.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That still doesn't look all that unusual to me. It may be scarred from the previous problem. But I do think you really need some tests done to make sure there isn't anything going on with her organ function or immune system.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I can actually tell that one nare is a little larger, but it’s difficult because it’s in shadow. Unfortunately I don’t know why that would be, and I don’t think it looks clogged. I was wondering if the chest of your bird felt normal under all those feathers sticking out. Is there an unusual bump of any kind under there?

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It might be a little enlarged. I dont know that I would do anything else at this point if she is eating, drinking, active and there is no redness and drainage. I would just keep an eye on her. If the vet thinks there is a vitamin A deficiency, can you give her some carrots or baby food sweet potatoes? Do you add other foods for her diet besides pellets? Even a few seeds are not bad. It is odd though that she would have a vitamin deficiency while on pellets, and also that the other bird is normal. She is very cute and obviously very loved!

vijay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
vijay
i brought her for a vet visit yesterday. the vet toke some nasal swab. the vet said she has some fungal infection in her nostril. however both her lungs are clean. the vet gave the following
  • itaconazole
  • enrotril
  • perdnisolone
the medical should be give for 6 days. after that she will be find and come back for a revisit 1 week later. the vet said nothing to worry about her. as for my cockaitiel she eats zupreem and she gets seeds 2 a week