• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel nose holes are not the same size

Alireza

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alireza
Hi
I read on a website before that when you want to buy a parrot look at nostrils they should be clean and have the same size.
I look at my cockatiel nostrils today and I saw the left one is a bit smaller than the right one.

Should I be worried ?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How long have you had your 'tiel? Generally nostrils are the same size but they can be born like that or it can be due to injury. My 'tiel and one of my red-bellies both have different sized nostrils but that is due to injury. The nares on your 'tiel look OK to me.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Your bird looks okay to me too. If they are just slightly different sizes, I don’t think it’s an issue. Just like our faces, birds are not always completely symmetrical. If it gets bigger, or gets red or watery, then you should worry.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Yes, it's a little smaller........but it's clear and open and no discoloration.........I think it's fine.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Callisto's nares:
Left nare misshapen and larger than right probably due to injury.

callisto corn.jpg

Nothing wrong with her beak. That's just corn. :)

Alireza

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alireza
How long have you had your 'tiel? Generally nostrils are the same size but they can be born like that or it can be due to injury. My 'tiel and one of my red-bellies both have different sized nostrils but that is due to injury. The nares on your 'tiel look OK to me.
About 5 month. I checked some old pictures I think he was born like that.

Sofro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matilda
It looks OK to me too.