• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel Nose Bleed

Ufo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kaylee
My dad owns a cockatiel that is around 2-3 years old. As i was going to put her in her cage, i noticed her nose was bleeding. I think it may have been from my cat reaching up and swatting at her while she was flying around. I was worried since i read on here that i should call a avian vet right away. The only one near us is an hour or so away and i dont drive. My dad is working. I called him and told him what's happening. He told me to just check on her and that shed be fine. He also said that if it dosent stop within an hour we should do something about it. I tried using a wet paper towel to gently remove the blood so she can breath but she wont let me get near her. Any tips on what i should do?

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She needs vet care NOW, but since you cannot get to the avian vet, what about a regular vet?
Cats are such a danger to birds that a tiny bit of a cat’s salvia can kill a bird within moments. The cat should never be out when the cat is around.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I agree, I think she should see a vet. She might need antibiotics immediately. In the future never have the cats where they can get the bird, even if she is in her cage. Is it still bleeding?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
She could be dead by the time he gets home, please find some way to take her if you think it's the cat!

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Cat saliva is full of pasteurella bacteria which can cause a nasty infection in many other species, even people.
It's especially dangerous to birds. They can seem fine after a bite or scratch, only to die around 3 days later from the infection. Even though it won't kill a bird immediately, it IS important that she get antibiotics soon before a serious infection can develop. An avian vet would be best, but if not possible, any vet should do. You could have them call the avian vet if they are uncertain of the dosage for birds.