• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel next step

Nukavine

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Goad
I've had Sol, my Cockatiel, for five months now. I've gotten him comfortable around me and he doesn't care if my hands are near him outside of the cage and he lets me get about a beaks length away from his beak before getting all hissy if my hand is in the cage. He eats millet spray from my hand, but not seeds. He'll take a bite of seeds that are on the tips of my fingers. I want to try and get him on my hand or have him let me pet him. Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Step up training should look something like this....

1. Reward your bird for looking at you.
  2. Reward your bird for moving his head towards you.
  3. Reward your bird for taking a step towards you.
  4. Reward your bird for taking another step towards you.
  5. If he doesn't run away, keep rewarding him for remaining where he's at. (if he runs/backs off, you may need to start over again)
  6. Reward your bird for taking a couple more steps closer.
  7. Encourage him to come closer yet again and reward him.
  8. Reward your bird for touching you with his toe(s).
  9. Reward your bird for putting a foot on you.
  10. *JACKPOT REWARD* Give your bird lots of goodies for putting both feet on you!

"Self-Tamed" Cockatiels | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
  1. Reward your bird for looking at you.
  2. Reward your bird for moving his head towards you.
  3. Reward your bird for taking a step towards you.
  4. Reward your bird for taking another step towards you.
  5. If he doesn't run away, keep rewarding him for remaining where he's at. (if he runs/backs off, you may need to start over again)
  6. Reward your bird for taking a couple more steps closer.
  7. Encourage him to come closer yet again and reward him.
  8. Reward your bird for touching you with his toe(s).
  9. Reward your bird for putting a foot on you.
  10. *JACKPOT REWARD* Give your bird lots of goodies for putting both feet on you!
It's the littlest steps that count! In any training, a bird isn't going to know right off the bat what you're wanting them to do or feel comfortable with it. Rewarding for even the tiniest things along the way is super important for the teaching and trust gaining parts, as Monica shows above. You can use other objects to hold a treat if he does not feel comfortable taking treats from your hand, like holding a small container full of treats or using a millet spray since he likes them. Even rewarding with toys can work, but if you're wanting to continue, a long-term foot toy may not work as well as a quick bite of seed or treats.
Good luck in gaining Sol's trust, I would look more into some of Barbra Heidreich's work if you're wanting to teach him other effective training methods like targeting and also, later on, fun tricks like spins and "big wings."