• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel is very scared

puffthemagicweirdo

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Oscar
Wow ok! I’m shocked to hear that long!, I did have real problems with my teils totally botched first clip of both wings, including secondary flight feathers.
that lasted 6-9 agonising months!

After this, once he was clipped he was always able to fly again easily within three months,

I had to be vigilant actually as One day he would just be able to fly all of a sudden, teils are really light and it really only takes a few primary’s to enable practically full and effortless indoor flight,

I just lost 4 budgies who figured out how to open the cage while out having fresh air on my porch. I did not have their wings trimmed because I wanted them to have full flight. They had their own room to fly in. Now they are going to die slowly by starvation or cold, or be eaten quickly. Not a great choice. I really do not know what to do with my other birds.
In this case i don’t believe clipped wings would have been advantageous, they Can still catch the wind and end up in a neighboring property without any defence against dogs or cats, I understand people can be quite against wing clipping, I just want people to also understand that it’s not evil incarnate to clip, it’s a tool that you have at your disposal, and in OP situation a vital last resort option.

But please don’t continually clip, why bother to even get a bird if your just going to keep it grounded, get a cat or a dog(there more cuddly apparently)

Last edited:

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Please listen to MahaSarah's advice. If Moon died from disease rather than accident or injury, it is crucial that you first ensure Sun is not also ill before anything else. If she DID die of accident or injury, then you should still pinpoint what happened so you can take measures to prevent the same for Sun.

Don't clip his wings. That is cruel and though it will force him to be dependent, it will damage his self-confidence and do nothing good for his distrust towards you. In my experience, phobic birds like Sun who were clipped only remained some vague semblance of "tame" while they were flightless.

This bird sounds terrified and like he wants nothing to do with you. In my opinion, if you can't offer it yourself then it would be in his best interest to find him a home with other cockatiels and an owner with an aviary or bird room who will just let him fly and be a bird. Sometimes human interaction is not what these animals need. You may be able to befriend him with endless time and patience, but by the look of things you don't have that kind of time to spend with him. You really can't leave birds alone for weeks at a time and expect to be able to establish a relationship with them.