1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel is very scared

Discussion in 'Behavior Byway' started by Bernardo, 9/2/18.

1. Bernardo

Bernardo Checking out the neighborhood

Hi!
    Months ago, in April, my mom got a couple of cockatiels, one female and one male.
    Because I was abroad at that time, and my mom has a phobia of wings, the birds didn't adapt well to their surroundings. They basically spent 3 weeks inside the cage, until I got home.
    1 week after getting home, so the birds would be used to my presence, I opened the cage and tried to feed them out of my hand. Moon, the female one, quickly got used to it, while Sun, the male, didn't get outside the cage.
    (Now here comes the important part.)
    Last month, Moon died. I was abroad at that time, again. To make Sun feel less alone, I tried befriending him, with no success.
    Sun acts normally but if someone gets near him, starts moving from side to side and chirping very loudly (and sometimes flaps his wings).
    What should I do? Should I let him stay this way? Should I try to befriend him? Should I give it to someone who has cockatiels?
    I can't get another cockatiel, but I don't want him to feel alone.

2. MahaSarah

MahaSarah Walking the driveway

Maha
    Welcome to the forum! I am glad your here seeking advice. And I am sorry to hear your cockatiel passed away :c

Just wondering but why did your mom get birds if she had a phobia of wings?

And your decision will depend on what you see for your future and his future. You simply cannot leave a bird in their cage 24/7. Do you see him being in your future long term? Also before even making that decision, you need to figure out why Moon passed away. You want to make sure whatever she passed away from is not passed to Sun.

After you get Sun to the vet to find out if he is healthy then you can decide if you see him in your future. Do you want a bird? Do you want him to be part of your family? Can you take care of him long term? Are you financially capable? Can you provide a large cage with tons of toys, perches, bird bath, daily interaction, proper diet (pellets with veggies and some seeds), vet fund, etc? If you answered no to any of those questions then please find him a new home.

Feather and Lady Jane like this.
  3. Bernardo

She knows I loved cockatiels since I was little :)

If I decide to keep him, how should I "approach" him? I don't want him to feel alone, but I don't want to invade his personal space.

4. MahaSarah

Maha
    Before deciding anything you need to get him to an Avian vet for a checkup. Do you know why Moon died?

Also, did you answer yes to all these questions: Do you want a bird? Do you want him to be part of your family? Can you take care of him long term? Are you financially capable? Can you provide a large cage with tons of toys, perches, bird bath, daily interaction, proper diet (pellets with veggies and some seeds), vet fund, etc?

Also, how does his set up look like right now? How big is his cage? What toys do you have? What does he eat? How old is he?

5. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    You have had great advice so far. You may like Cockatiels, many people do. They are great birds. However you need to be with them for a least a few hours a day. After reading what happened you may want to examine your expectations and available one on one time with the bird. I almost never advise to re home a bird but in this case that may be the best option for the bird's sake. If you decide to do that you can post here in the re home forum for a good home. Where do you live?

Feather and MahaSarah like this.
  6. Bernardo

Currently living in Portugal :)

I would really love to spend time with my cockatiel, but he seems so scared when I approach him. I don't want to scare him even more.

I would be very, very grateful if you could give me some tips. You can say I'm an inexperienced bird owner :/

Last edited: 9/2/18
    Lady Jane likes this.
  7. MahaSarah

Maha
    I completely understand. However, you will first need to find out why Moon died so Sun does not pass away from anything Sun had.

What is your current set up right now? Please provide us with details so we can help you.

Also, you will need to provide Moon with the proper care (not saying your not doing that now) but you will need a large cage, proper diet, toys, perches, vet care, exercise etc.

Then when you have provided the basics we can help you out in building a bond with your cockatiel.

Lady Jane likes this.
  8. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    What @MahaSarah said is excellent advise. We are here to help you. First and foremost is the health of your bird. Do you have a bird vet?

Last edited: 9/2/18
    MahaSarah likes this.
  9. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    I think you just need to sit by his cage and read aloud to him. Drop treats like millet in his food cup whenever you walk by. Talk to him all the time and be the bringer of all things good. Never force him to do anything but try to find a way to make everything his choice. Maybe soon he’ll feel like he trusts you enough to take treats from your fingers. Patience is key, because it might take a long time. Watch his body language and back off if he is showing fear.

10. puffthemagicweirdo

puffthemagicweirdo Meeting neighbors Avenue Veteran

Oscar
    He’s lost his mate, doesn’t sound hand reared, may be better off in an aviary, potentially with other teils, you can befriend him if you take it SLOW and don’t force yourself on him, don’t expect miracles overnight and you will find you can slowly make progress, he just needs to adjust. Try not to stress the bird or do anything to make it trust you less. Quietly reading near the cage can help him adjust to your presence, adventually placing his cage in the busiest part of the house to get used to people.

He needs time out of the cage for sure but it absolutely needs to be positive time outside of the cage, not half an hour of being chased around trying to be returned to it, so spend a week just letting him adjust to you and clip his wing before taking him out so you aren’t scaring him trying to chase him around the house with a towel.

I found my teil always responded really well to a clipped wing as it made him more dependant and I was able to train him better then once the bond is established you can allow him to be free flighted.

Be aware that teils are very light birds so even with a clipped wing they will still be able to fly upwards, just not as far or fast.

11. puffthemagicweirdo

Oscar
    Also you should consider cleaning/ bleaching his cage in case there is something that caused the other one to die that is transferable, look for signs of wet feathers around its butt, extra sloppy poos, sneezing or liquid coming from it’s nose indicating a respiratory infection, if you suspect any problems you should certainly take him to a vet, preferably one who knows a good amount about birds, most vets only know about cats and dogs, there more cuddly apparently

12. Lady Jane

Dianne

I think having a bird dependent upon us because you cut his ability to fly is down right cruel

Feather, MahaSarah and ThisLittleBird like this.
  13. ThisLittleBird

ThisLittleBird Meeting neighbors

Birds were put on earth to fly.. however, there some flightless birds like the Ostrich

14. puffthemagicweirdo

Oscar

Some people are against clipping birds wings and rightfully so, the goal is to have a fully flighted and tame bird which is a better end result than having to rehome causing even more stress to the bird. Or leaving it in the cage and never letting it out because it’s not been handled.

The end goal should be to have a fully flighted bird where you never clip its wings

Please also note

•it does not hurt or damage the bird
    •they grow back within a month
    •it settles down an unmanageable bird
    •often it’s essential for their safety
    •teils in particular can still fly quite well.

birds fly, for kilometres at a time even, so taking from the wild and placing them in a cage (your house is a cage) is no different to me than clipping their wings. So maybe nobody should own birds, if your going to do it tho you owe it to the bird to do it right. There is nothing worse to me than seeing a bird capeable of living 80 years, confined to an 8m2 cage saying hello to tourists.

Let’s try and stay on the OP topic

Last edited: 9/3/18
    Lightning57 likes this.
  15. Lady Jane

Dianne
    The cut flight feathers take the better part of a year to grow back. It is a better option to make your home safe for a bird, not to make the bird safe for your home.

16. puffthemagicweirdo

Oscar
    Three months.

17. meheartbirds

meheartbirds Strolling the yard

Cynthia
    I just lost 4 budgies who figured out how to open the cage while out having fresh air on my porch. I did not have their wings trimmed because I wanted them to have full flight. They had their own room to fly in. Now they are going to die slowly by starvation or cold, or be eaten quickly. Not a great choice. I really do not know what to do with my other birds.

18. Fergus Mom

Fergus Mom Rollerblading along the road

Elly
  19. MahaSarah

Maha
    The flight feathers for my one of my Lovebirds took one year to grow back. Never again will I clip them. Better to make the home safer.

20. Lady Jane

Dianne
    Same here. Both budgies took 11 months for regrowth. In all my years with birds never heard of re growth in 3 months.

Feather and MahaSarah like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)