• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Cockatiel is sick and he won’t eat food or water.

Alireza

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alireza
Hi
For the last 2-3 days my cockatiel sits puffed up on me or his cage and closes one eye or both eyes and tries to sleep. He will not move or fly in the house he don’t eat anything ( I gave him macaroni today and he ate it. )
He has Diarrhea it was green and light yellow/white yesterday but it’s light yellow now.
I went to a vet he gave me Multivitamin and vitamin A/D and Chloramphenicol which is a human eye drop and he said I put a drop in bird’s mouth every 12 hour. Is it okay ? I read about this drug looks like it’s forbidden in Canada because they gave it to bees. Any vet here know about this drug ?
He is a little fat he really likes Sunflower seed.

The thing is he seems normal nose, eye, foot and feather everything seems okay.
Also my house is not cold temperature is about 20c something like that and I put his cage near radiator.

Last edited:

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
None of us are vets on here. Unfortunately you really need a vet who can do tests to tell you whether that is the appropriate antibiotic or not. If you tell us your general location, we may be able to help you with that. Or possibly you could ask the vet you saw to run tests and consult with an avian vet if there isn't one near you.

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I'm so sorry your bird is unwell. Not a vet, but I did find quite a bit of info on "Chloramphenicol in pet birds" & "Avian Chloramphenicol treatment" with a google search. I hope you baby feels better soon.

Last edited:

Alireza

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alireza
None of us are vets on here. Unfortunately you really need a vet who can do tests to tell you whether that is the appropriate antibiotic or not. If you tell us your general location, we may be able to help you with that. Or possibly you could ask the vet you saw to run tests and consult with an avian vet if there isn't one near you.
Thanks for your reply. I live in Iran/Tehran there are avian vets here but they’re far I have to travel to another city and it’s so expensive to visit a avian vet so I went to a local vet.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Did the vet do a gram stain or anything like that? Can he perhaps consult with an Avian vet?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe you can find a vet who knows more about birds and is closer to where you live.
Do a search here:
Association of Avian Veterinarians
Some of the vets listed are avian vets and the others should have experience treating birds.
It's very important that your bird eat and drink. Offer it things like millet which are high energy foods, moisten and soften pellets with warm water, offer warm veggies.
Sometimes sick birds prefer warm food (not hot, of course). You might wind up having to get bird hand feeding formula and hand feed your bird. If you've never done that before I would recommend using a small spoon and offering the food on the spoon.
Did the vet just do a visual exam or were any diagnostic tests done such as culture, gram stain, blood work (although may be too weak and stressed for blood work right now)?
Hope your 'tiel will be OK.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Make up a hospital cage like this, a small cage like this
20181230_131610.jpg
Wrap the sides with saran wrap and tape in place. You can also lay a piece saran wrap over the top to keep the warmth in. Underneath the cage place heating pad turned on and thermometer like this
20181230_132214.jpg
Wrap the bottom of cage like this
20181230_132741.jpg
After you put heating pad beneath the cage. Once the thermometer read 90°F not sure what that is in C. Put the bird in the cage and cover like this
20181230_133340.jpg
Keep the temperature at a constant 90°- 100°. Put food and water in the cage and folded hand towel for the bird to perch on.
Hope this helps you praying your bird gets better soon.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Chloramphenicol is fine for parrots. My Jasper has been on it more than once. Be sure you give the medicine as long as the vet told you to.

Hope your baby gets better soon.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope your bird will be okay! What a cutie he is!:heart:

Alireza

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alireza
Maybe you can find a vet who knows more about birds and is closer to where you live.
Do a search here:
Association of Avian Veterinarians
Some of the vets listed are avian vets and the others should have experience treating birds.
It's very important that your bird eat and drink. Offer it things like millet which are high energy foods, moisten and soften pellets with warm water, offer warm veggies.
Sometimes sick birds prefer warm food (not hot, of course). You might wind up having to get bird hand feeding formula and hand feed your bird. If you've never done that before I would recommend using a small spoon and offering the food on the spoon.
Did the vet just do a visual exam or were any diagnostic tests done such as culture, gram stain, blood work (although may be too weak and stressed for blood work right now)?
Hope your 'tiel will be OK.
He checked his eyes and nose. I asked about blood exams but he said there is no need for it. I’m going to see an avian expert tomorrow.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Not sure if you can even get this Iran but its worth a try. Canned 100% pumpkin can some times help with diarrhea in birds. Make sure to warm it up before you try to feed to your little one.

Doggies mom

Moving in
A lot of times, i help feed water to my little parrot by putting a drop of water on my finger and raising it above my parrot so they can stretch and drink it.

Helps them take in some sort of liquids at leasts. He will try to bite your finger at first, but then realize its with water so they will reach again to drink it the next time.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@Alireza any news on your cockatiel?

Linearis

Walking the driveway
I recommend a bacterial culture... I didn't ask for one at first and my bird's first medicine didn't work. -.- It just made things more expensive in the end.