• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel is making lots of grunting noises

aaa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angelena
Hi! I’m a first time cockatiel owner and my bird is about 3 months old. Today my bird started hovering down a bit and makes a bunch of small grunting noises. It also looks like it’s might be shaking a bit too?…. I was reading online this might be hormonal behavior for a girl but I’m not entirely sure.
Can someone help me figure out what this behavior means?… And does this mean I have a female cockatiel?

I’ve attached a video link and pictures below.

Attachments

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Your bird is making a baby begging noise. It’s either hungry or using the begging noise to ask for pets.

aaa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angelena
Your bird is making a baby begging noise. It’s either hungry or using the begging noise to ask for pets.
Ohh I see, that makes sense. Thank you for your reply and clarification!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is your baby fully weaned? Sometimes baby birds still need some hand feedings.

sb sigmund

Strolling the yard
That looks to me like when the females get hormonal and want to mate. Could that happen as early as 3 months?

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
@Xoetix didn’t ttoek do something like this as a baby ?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It's possible she is practicing. I'm half and half ,excited hi pet me, to excited you could be my boyfriend.

My quaker laid an egg between 4-5 months of age ! Ugh!

aaa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angelena
I notice my bird only does this with my dad and he doesn’t hold the bird that much… could it be begging for pets from my dad?

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
To me the noises, especially towards the end of the video, sound like screamy baby cockatiel. 3 months is not far at all from the time this bird would use those noises with its parents to get fed.

Reactions: aaa

aaa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angelena
here is an example of the hormonal behavior
Yes! That’s exactly what my bird does… and I’m conflicted because it says online cockatiels reach hormonal maturity around 1 year of age but my bird was born September 16 this year.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Thats a mating noise. Unless you want eggs, you had better quit rubbing her head/neck/back. I have 2 females, i know all about it.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Yes! That’s exactly what my bird does… and I’m conflicted because it says online cockatiels reach hormonal maturity around 1 year of age but my bird was born September 16 this year.
Dont believe everything you read on the internet. Birds are individuals like you and i.

sb sigmund

Strolling the yard
Please ensure that you ignore that behaviour and do NOT pet anywhere other than the head. Discourage hormonal behaviour

aaa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angelena
Please ensure that you ignore that behaviour and do NOT pet anywhere other than the head. Discourage hormonal behaviour
Yes, I’ve read about where not to pet birds and we only pet the birds head. I also make sure to share that with people that are new around birds… so far the bird hasn’t made that noise or gesture for at least a month. It was just really odd she would get like that only around my dad.

aaa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angelena
Thats a mating noise. Unless you want eggs, you had better quit rubbing her head/neck/back. I have 2 females, i know all about it.
Yeah we definitely don’t pet her back or wings. Only her head which is weird it starting doing a mating call with only my dad.