• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel Injured Please Help

Alis

Moving in
Real Name
Areta Kabir
My cockatiel, Lauren hurt her feet yesterday. My little brother apparently closed a door on her without realizing she was perched on top. Thankfully he didn’t close it all the way. But she sustained some injuries. She was fine yesterday, apart from some scratches on her toes. I put some antibacterial cream on the cuts. But today morning, her right foot is swollen. She’s not limping and is preening, eating and doing all the normal bird things. But sometimes she does seem to lose balance and stand on one leg. There are no avian vets here in Dhaka where I live, and it’s killing me to know she’s in pain. I was wondering if anyone with some past experience could advise me on what to do..

Attachments

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Ouch...

Heavily bruised & swollen. Hopefully not broken but its a good sign she is using it & not limping.

If it gets darker/black it could have been crushed badly. worst case she could lose the foot or her life. No way of telling by looking at it how bad it is. Can only hope that it will heal.
Cold compressions would have helped yesterday...might be worth a try.

Hope she will be alright. A door closing even partially on a fragile small bird foot can do alot of damage.

No vets is not a good thing.

Last edited:

Alis

Moving in
Real Name
Areta Kabir
do u think the swelling will go down on its own?

Alis

Moving in
Real Name
Areta Kabir
The discoloration has gotten better now, it’s not getting any darker thank god. But we’ll know for sure tomorrow. She’s flying and climbing around and playing. When she’s stretching out though, she seems reluctant to balance on the injured leg. I think I found a vet, but he practices out of his apartment. I’m a bit doubtful about his qualifications, but it’s better than nothing. Planning on taking her tomorrow.. praying she’ll be okay.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m glad she seems like she’s getting better, and I hope she’ll be okay!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The only way to be sure is to get an X ray of the injured foot. Feet are very important, especially for a bird.