• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cockatiel help

Ema

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, I have a question. To our surprise our bird Pepa laid egg yesterday in our bed. It was surprise, because we thought that she is younger and she does not have a male, nor a mirror to trigger laying eggs. I removed the egg and put it in the cage on the cloth.... Unfortunately Pepa does not want to sit on it and she is crying all the time.... When I open the cage to let her out, she goes straight to the bed again and tries to lay an egg. Should I leave her in the cage till she will lay there or should I let her lay in the bed and remove an egg? I do not know what to do... please help

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Female birds (hens) do not need a male or a mirror to make them lay eggs.

She may be getting ready to lay more eggs.
They don’t sit on eggs to incubate them till the whole clutch is laid.

You don’t want to encourage egg laying (especially in a tiel who are known to become problematic layers) so I’d suggest rearranging her cage totally, move every object in there to a new spot- consider even moving her cage to a new place in the house.
Be aware of the hours light and dark your bird is subjected to and decrease daylight hours if they’re not already the same or less than the night hours your bird gets.

Hopefully @Zara will be along soon enough to give you some more help or information.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello,

If her cage is in your bedroom, I agree with Shezbug, could you move the cage somewhere else?

I think that cutting access to the bed is important, it is your place not hers so the boundary should be set. If you can't move the cage, maybe just keep her caged a few days or try covering the bed with something, or at least make the bed in a way that she can't get in the bed, only on the bed.

Ema

Thank you. Her cage is not in the bedroom. She is in another room, but she is flying all around the house. Actually I already did everything what you recommended.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You should also not remove the eggs, I believe, until she's done laying or replace them with dummy eggs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. @Zara ? @Ripshod ?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You should also not remove the eggs
Yes, the eggs should be left available but given the bird chose the bed as a nest, just by moving the egg they might reject it and re-lay an egg which is frustrating.
OP said they put the egg in the cage - that is what I would have done also.

@Ema Keep a note of the dates eggs were laid in a diary or calendar.

Ema

I put the egg to the cage, but Pepa is so frustrated. She didn't lay another egg since, but it seems like she wants to. (72 hours).

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Maybe try setting up a little nest in the corner of the cage floor for her. If she has an egg on the way, it is important she lays it instead of waiting for access to the bed.