• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel help

carl86

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Carl Lucas
Hi,

I had 2 cockatiels but unfortunately 1 passed away.

The second cockatiel has become very strange, She (we think) was trying to escape the cage and didn't want to come near us for a few days and she was nearly getting her head stuck in the bars. We swapped her back to an old cage we had but she is just pacing around the cage and being very "dangerous". If we open the cage she just flys out onto the light and seems to be fine up there, as soon as she's back in the cage the same happens. I'm worried she's going to hurt herself.

Any ideas?

Thanks

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels mourn just like people do. She's most likely upset that she's lost her friend and possibly looking for him/her. Why did you switch cages to begin with? It's very important that birds are in cages with proper spacing for their size. Do you know what was the cause of death for your other bird? I'm just asking in case it was illness, your other tiel may need to be vet checked. And I'm very sorry for you loss.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so sorry for the loss of your other tiel. Just be patient with your current tiel, who is missing her friend and looking for him. I would try to keep things as normal as possible, and not change anything too soon, unless something is not safe. Was the old cage's bar spacing too wide?

carl86

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Carl Lucas
We got the other cage because it was bigger and apparently for cockatiels. They were both quite happy in it with no problems. It wasn't until the death that I realised she could fit her head through the corner of the cage and was nearly getting stuck. I just thought it would be safer to put her back in her old cage rather than a brand new cage.

The other tiel died from an illness I think. He was fluffed up and shaking. I phoned the vet and was told to see how he was over 24h and if any worse or not perked up to bring her in. Unfortunately he didn't make it through the night. I am keeping a very close eye on her for any signs of anything.

It's very strange because when she's not in the cage she seems very happy with human contact, eating out of our hands and landing on us which she didn't do so much before.

Last edited:

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Awwwww poor baby is grieving! She doesn't understand what happened to her best friend. Try and keep her routine as normal as possible. Just your presence around her and you talking to her with a soothing and loving tone will help her. Maybe make sure your cage bars are 1/2 inch or no larger than 5/8 inch, just to make sure your cage is safe for cockatiels.

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I know it's very hard to lose a bird and I'm so sorry for your loss, but did you opt in for that operation to see the official reason why the bird died? I would also take your other bird to the vet and get her checked before anything throws up a red flag.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Did she see the body of her mate that died? She may need something to calm her down.

@Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The operation for finding out what was wrong with a bird that died is a necropsy (same as an autopsy for a human).
You should definitely take you bird in for a check up with the vet.
Like others have said parrots grieve and in the case of your bird she/he most likely saw the bird that died struggling in the cage. She may now be afraid of the cage. Be afraid that there is something in the cage that will kill her too. Be gentle and patient with her. Give her extra attention and treats. If she doesn't want to stay in that cage, don't make her - make the new cage safe for her, or leave her out in a room that has been bird proofed.

I'm sorry for your loss.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry for your loss. Agree w/ others that your bird is probably mourning for his/her friend. Good idea to take him/her to the vet just to make sure there are no medical issues.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I am so sorry for your loss. As others have said - your tiel is grieving the loss of her friend. Please make sure her cage is safe. A vet check is a good idea also.