• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel heart wings - what does it mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParrotletPal

Walking the driveway
My cockatiel, Diefenbaker, will make the heart shape wings ... mostly when I come in the room and almost always first thing in the morning. Is this just a stretch ... is it a form of greeting ... is it a territorial thing. Not sure, it is usually followed by a song - so maybe it's just a type of greeting. Any ideas on this one? Like most things with birds ... it probably has lots of different meanings depending on the bird.

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
He's displaying ... it is a way to get you to notice him as well as to make himself appear to be big and handsome to anyone else who might be looking.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
He wuvs you very much.

Ginger

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
Is heart shaped wings when they lift them up a little bit? My tiel does that when she wants me to pick her up...:)

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
:D All 4 of my males take turns doing it ... usually they are whistling a very loud song while they are posing ... the song is to announce to everyone that "I am here" and I am the best. Sometimes while they are doing this, they will also tap their beak on the perch or a nearby object as a way of claiming it.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Yep everyone that posted here is correct. Squeeky does that for me all the time!

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Chiquita does that, it’s a male thing. I thought Chiquita was female but when she started dong this, she would bob his head back and forth I new she was a he and then he started getting his ring which now I know he is a male. But this is common to make them look rough and tough. I love when they do that, it’s funny.

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
Here are a few videos of cockatiels displaying ... none of these are my birds though:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
however then we have Samantha who beak raps, does heart wings and talks..did I mention she also lays eggs..shes confused!!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Great videos! Tiel displays are so pretty.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
however then we have Samantha who beak raps, does heart wings and talks..did I mention she also lays eggs..shes confused!!
Oh yes sometimes you will get a confused one like sam lol. You just never know what they are lol.

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
I only have 1 hen right now, but she will also occasionally display. She rarely makes any noise, but she will spread her wings and tail feathers and sometimes bow down with her wings spread.

Status
Not open for further replies.