• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel has green nostrils?

BirbBirdy

Strolling the yard
Recently (over the past 3 weeks) I've noticed that my cockatiel has green matter in his nostrils, I tried to research this but nothing really came up. I did come across some advice to gently wet a cotton bud and move it around the nostril and then dry it. Nothing happened, and he still has these green nostrils. I'm quite concerned as he is only young, around 5-6 months old, and he did not come like this from the shop I got him from. He's acting healthy (I know birds can hide their illness though), his poop is healthy looking - and nothing is out of the ordinary. Although he has been sneezing one every few days.

I'm worried too as I cannot access any of my vets, they're closed for only urgent care and I rang up and they said they cannot see him. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Like an antibiotic, he can take to stop it? I don't know what the cause is and I would appreciate any help to identify what the issue is.

Thankyou.

1586860827112.png
1586860846909.png

Attachments

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Could just be dirt or dust, can you moisten a QTip and gently clean it out?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can also try giving him a bath/misting him. It may loosen up on it's own. Or let the shower run so the bathroom is a bit steamy and sit in the bathroom with him for a bit.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I actually can’t see anything unusual from the photo. I would try the bath or gentle misting first. If you do use a moistened Q-tip, be extremely gentle. You don’t want to do damage to the operculum, which is the part inside that is supposed to be there.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I actually can’t see anything unusual from the photo. I would try the bath or gentle misting first. If you do use a moistened Q-tip, be extremely gentle. You don’t want to do damage to the operculum, which is the part inside that is supposed to be there.
This exactly. I don't think you have anything to be concerned about from looking at your photos From this page back in 2016... I just copied the post that relates to what @Tiel Feathers is referring to, the link is to that page.

"The maxillary rhamphotheca carries the paired nostrils or nares. Inside the nares of most parrots is a small, round, brownish structure called the operculum. Next time you take your bird out, closely examine the inside of the nostril, and you may see the operculum, which is quite obvious in the cockatiel and Amazon parrot. This may be mistaken for a seed or dried hand-feeding formula in the nostril, but the operculum is supposed to be there. However, if a bird is suffering from malnutrition or chronic sinus infections, a rhinolith (a mass formed of desiccated secretions and debris) may cause a physical obstruction to proper breathing, and it may disfigure the nares. Rhinoliths must be differentiated from the normal operculum found inside the nostril. In some birds (owls, parrots and pigeons) there is a fleshy band at the top of the rhinotheca that contains the nostrils or nares. This is called the cere. The cere is swollen, highly sensitive and may be feathered. In the budgie, the color of the cere in a mature bird may indicate the sex of the bird."

Excerpt from a long article on avian anatomy. I hope it helps!

BirbBirdy

Strolling the yard
In person it is quite green on both sides, it’s been green inside for a few weeks. I misted him and it didn’t remove anything. And I tried the q-tip gently again and nothing happened.

I’m quite concerned that it is an infection because he has some bad breath, and is sneezing a bit.

BirbBirdy

Strolling the yard
I’ve tried to get some images of him where you can really see the green inside the nostrils, you can see it on the right nostril in the first image. His nostrils are definitely not a healthy pink colour like they were before.

Attachments