• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel got large spectrum antibiotic shot, now what

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Tau isn't sick, neither were my other tiels, they just seem(ed) to drink a lot. I have tried removing water from the cage and just providing it at certain times and this did work. I could do that again now but I don't really see a need if it's not doing any harm. It's not a symptom of illness, more just something my tiel does.
It cost me a fortune to have 3 independent AVs tell me to stop worrying.
Why Your Cockatiel Is Drinking So Much Water – Beak Craze
Yes, drinking lots of water CAN BE a sign of illness. Can also be a symptom of antibiotics. Not always though.
thank you for your opinion and interesting article! Other than the poop, Pitbull seems to be doing okay maybe. He doesn't really move in his cage, and it is not interested at all in his toys, but he loves to chew on the cuttlebone. So I guess I could see the cuttlebone as the toy for now. He is also no longer fluffed up. He doesn't nap anymore like it happened 1 week ago. Last week, I would walk in his room and he would be sleeping, wake up to see what I want, and if I don't do anything and just stare, he would simply go back to sleep. Now when I go check on him, he comes to the front door, starts eating his cuttlebone, eats his food/drinks water and is observing me. I am happy he is no longer sleeping so much! But he still doesn't want to come out. It is very sad, I keep his door open all the time, yet he just sits in front of the open cage and looks outside. How will he get his exercise to be strong to fly again if he doesn't wanna come out to play? :(

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
thank you for your opinion and interesting article! Other than the poop, Pitbull seems to be doing okay maybe. He doesn't really move in his cage, and it is not interested at all in his toys, but he loves to chew on the cuttlebone. So I guess I could see the cuttlebone as the toy for now. He is also no longer fluffed up. He doesn't nap anymore like it happened 1 week ago. Last week, I would walk in his room and he would be sleeping, wake up to see what I want, and if I don't do anything and just stare, he would simply go back to sleep. Now when I go check on him, he comes to the front door, starts eating his cuttlebone, eats his food/drinks water and is observing me. I am happy he is no longer sleeping so much! But he still doesn't want to come out. It is very sad, I keep his door open all the time, yet he just sits in front of the open cage and looks outside. How will he get his exercise to be strong to fly again if he doesn't wanna come out to play? :(
Don't worry so much. His recent experiences with you have shown that any interaction is likely to mean a visit to the nasty vet. Give him time, he will start playing with his toys and come out to explore.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Don't worry so much. His recent experiences with you have shown that any interaction is likely to mean a visit to the nasty vet. Give him time, he will start playing with his toys and come out to explore.
I see! Thank you for following the thread and commenting! It really helps me to have someone to discuss this with and calm my nerves ! :)

Do you think I can reintroduce my other tiel? Right now they are living in separate rooms by the vet request, but how long should I keep them separated now that Pitbull has completed his antibiotic journey?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
how long should I keep them separated now that Pitbull has completed his antibiotic journey?
I would hold on for a short while until Pitbull has calmed down a little after his experience. As long as you have the all clear from the vet I see no reason not to reintroduce them in a week, putting their cages side by side so they can talk. This would be most beneficial for Pitbull. All this fuss with Pitbull I forgot about the other.

Last edited:

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
I would hold on for a short while until Pitbull has calmed down a little after his experience. Maybe a week. However, as long as you have the all clear from the vet I see no reason not to reintroduce them then, putting their cages side by side so they can talk. This would be most beneficial for Pitbull. All this fuss with Pitbull I forgot about the other.
The other tiel is doing fine. When I introduced them for the first time, Candy looked at Pitbull between bars reaally closely and flew back to my shoulder. lol Sometimes they have chats across the rooms. deafening chats, might I add. lol Hope they can become friends some day. :D

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Good news everyone! With the help of my other tiel, Pitbull got some courage and started eating seeds from my open hand! Her is afraid if I hold a seed in my fingers, but if I put them on my open end, he will come and eat them! I am so happy. actual progress in taming. All thanks to good Candy who showed Pitbull it is safe to eat from my open hand. :D

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Yeah!!!

Is anyone against yogurt? It is soft, has calories and probiotics. Many birds like it. Granted we don't feed a lot of dairy to our birds because they tend to get chubby, but this little guy needs a few calories. I would bring it to room temperature.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Yeah!!!

Is anyone against yogurt? It is soft, has calories and probiotics. Many birds like it. Granted we don't feed a lot of dairy to our birds because they tend to get chubby, but this little guy needs a few calories. I would bring it to room temperature.
I think the problem could be where to get REAL PROBIOTIC yogurt. 90% of yogurts are pasteurized. But if you get the unpasteurized kind, I don't see why it wouldn't help. :)

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
I'm very pleased to read that Pitbull is doing so much better. I'm glad you have been getting so much support from the other members here. I've been offline with zero Mbs.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Human probiotics are different to those found in parrots. I beleive it would be better to get probiotics specific to birds, and possibly specific to species.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
I would also caution that most parrots are lactose intolerant. It may make pit bull sick or increases his diarrhea if you give him yogurt. Overall tho glad to hear he’s on the mend. :)

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Wow. Ok. Our avian vet ok'd that. LOL! Some quacks! Time for us to look for a new vet i guess. Glad we have more than one here. Sorry for that possibly dangerous confusion.

Last edited:

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Hey guys! Update time!

Pitbull is doing better? Kind of? I moved him in cage with Candy during the day and they get along great. He can fly again! I am very happy! And his poops have gotten much better. But Pitbull is still very frail. I touched his chest and I could only feel the bone. Poor thing must be really skinny.

Now that Candy has a feathered friend, she started rejecting me. :( It is really sad, but I can see she is much happier now. Its only 2 days since they are together and she started preening Pitbull. She started playing with her toys again and is very active, even if Pitbull just sits on his perch all day lol. And he found a toy that he likes! The drinking straws! Made some hoops with the straws and he likes chewing on them. It is one of Candy's favorite toy too! haha

I am keeping an eye on Candy now that they live together but so far so good!

Kodigirl210

It’s important to still work with each bird alone every day to make sure they stay companionable.

You don’t want them to revert and only stick to each other. If you need to set them in cages next to each other then do that rather than having them in the same one. You may want to until Pit Bull gains weight anyway. You don’t want Candy eating all the food.

This way you can work with each and keep them used to being touched and handled. You never know when you might need to pick one up in a hurry. You don’t want to be fighting their fear in an emergency.

As long as they both still work with you then I would say the same cage is fine.

It’s good to hear that Pit Bull is doing better.

Tim

Avenue Veteran
He looks great!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@dumpling98, @SherLar
I'm afraid you got some inaccurate information. There are a few dairy products that are ok for parrots and yogurt is one of those.

"Some milk products do not contain lactose, such as cottage cheese and other types of cheese. Generally, it is thought that it is safe to offer yogurt and cheese, although products that contain lactose are probably safe, if offered in small amounts. "Interestingly, live culture yogurt does contain lactose when it is produced; however the live organisms in the yogurt consume the lactose, eventually removing the lactose entirely from the yogurt before it is consumed! Cheese products with onions or garlic in them are best avoided, because of the risk of Heinz body hemolytic anemia."
Dairy Products and Birds
Dr. Wissman is an internationally recognized veterinarian.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim