• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel got large spectrum antibiotic shot, now what

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It seems like blood in the poop would either be bright red from the lower part of the digestive tract or black as tar from the upper. I’m not sure if you would find some red and some black. I’m also don’t think antibiotics would help with any internal bleeding. That seems like bleeding would be from a bigger problem than a bacterial infection. If you smear the dark poops, you might find they are green. I can’t see very well on my phone, but are those droppings more rust than bright red? I also question weather he is bleeding or not. Toys and food will change the color of his droppings. I hope he will be okay!

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Hey guys! Good news! Vet said today is the last antibiotic shot. Results from the poop sample also came and he said he didn't find anthing other than a lot of bacteria and he said the antibiotic shots should take care of that.

He gave me some probiotics and vitamins. Vitamins to put in the water and probiotics to put in his food. The probiotics are in powder form and I said what he told me, to sprinke them on his seeds, use tiny amount of oil to make them stick and hope Pitbull eats. He said that after 5 days of probiotics, he should be much better. He said to call him next week if he is still not improving.

I told the vet about the bloody poop, but didn't get anything particular for it. vet thinks poop will improve after probiotics.
I think guys the blood might have also came from the food? It is true that I didn't witness him eating the red filler, but when I trew away his food and prepared the probiotic one, I saw red dust. Maybe the bloody poop must come form from there.

His poop is no longer bloody, back to normal green, but still quiet weak.

Today he chirped to me after we got home. :)

After all this poop trauma, when I play with my other tiel I look at my others tiel poop with a hawkeye im like: that's a nice healthy poop. awww yiss.
lol

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It seems like blood in the poop would either be bright red from the lower part of the digestive tract or black as tar from the upper. I’m not sure if you would find some red and some black. I’m also don’t think antibiotics would help with any internal bleeding. That seems like bleeding would be from a bigger problem than a bacterial infection. If you smear the dark poops, you might find they are green. I can’t see very well on my phone, but are those droppings more rust than bright red? I also question weather he is bleeding or not. Toys and food will change the color of his droppings. I hope he will be okay!
Unfortunately bloody poop can come from a serious bacterial infection. Bloody poops that are black (oxidized/digested) also can leach red into the urine portion of the dropping. I've seen both of these things firsthand. Now, that being said, I DO think that Pitbull's poops look like they're improving and that the latest orangey ones do look more like food than blood.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Unfortunately bloody poop can come from a serious bacterial infection. Bloody poops that are black (oxidized/digested) also can leach red into the urine portion of the dropping. I've seen both of these things firsthand. Now, that being said, I DO think that Pitbull's poops look like they're improving and that the latest orangey ones do look more like food than blood.
Thanks, good to know!

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
guys. I have a dillema. my cockatiel can not fly and I don't know why. When I let him outside he tries to fly a lot but can not lift at all. My vet thinks its because he is weak, but this past days he has been quiet energetic. What do you think? hare some pictures with his posture. Do you think the wings are clipped or something? I got him from the petstore, and I never seen clipped wings actually. My other bird form a similar petstore didn't have clipped wings. His wings and posture look nornal to me.

Attachments

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
His wings are not clipped. Has he flown before all this sickness? If not it's just a case of letting him exercise his wings and build his strength. Even if he has flown before the vet is probably right, he is just weak.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
His wings are not clipped. Has he flown before all this sickness? If not it's just a case of letting him exercise his wings and build his strength. Even if he has flown before the vet is probably right, he is just weak.
He has not flown before his sickness. He got sick because of the stress of moving to my place :(. Never seen him fully healthy. :(
Before his health agravated, he still couldn't lift off.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
guys, I have another dilemma. I am going back to uni in 1 week and the original plan was so take pitbull with me, but since he is still recovering and not yet healthy, maybe a 4h car drive will mess him up again
NOTE: I will be back at my parents place with the birds after 2 months anyways, because school is over.

should I take Pitbull with me?

PROS :
~ I have access to a better vet in the city, to further adress his runny poop or other underlying issues.
~will be close to my other cockatiel.
~ we just started bonding and would like to continue that.
~I feel I provide a better care for him since my parrents will be completly newbie with birds. (but under my instructions they will manage)

CONS :
~ He is stil recovering from illnes and might infect the other cockatiel on the car ride.
~ Maybe the 4h car ride stress might make him sick again.

I know the pros are more the the cons are very serious. I can't makeup my mind what is the best for Pitbull's health. Please let me know your opinions!

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's a tough decision. Have your two tiels been together prior to this. It's always good to quarantine but has the quarantine already been broken? Normally, I would say to take the bird with you but then there's also the how he would do in the car issue. Would you be driving? Or going as a passenger? My tiel always did better if I held him on my lap in a carrier than in the back of the car by himself.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
That's a tough decision. Have your two tiels been together prior to this. It's always good to quarantine but has the quarantine already been broken? Normally, I would say to take the bird with you but then there's also the how he would do in the car issue. Would you be driving? Or going as a passenger? My tiel always did better if I held him on my lap in a carrier than in the back of the car by himself.
The quarantine has been broken. Before Pitbull showed his weakness, I let them see eachother in their cages thinking it would help with Pitbull's screaming and help him settle down easier.

I would be a passenger. My other tiel hates car rides so I have to cover fully her travel cage and she sits besides me. If I were to take them, both of them would be in separate travel cage, both cages covered with blankets.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
The quarantine has been broken. Before Pitbull showed his weakness, I let them see eachother in their cages thinking it would help with Pitbull's screaming and help him settle down easier.

I would be a passenger. My other tiel hates car rides so I have to cover fully her travel cage and she sits besides me. If I were to take them, both of them would be in separate travel cage, both cages covered with blankets.
I know every bird is different, but my tiel did better not covered so he could see what was going on.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Since you already broke quarantine, maybe take him with you? I would cover three sides and leave one uncovered so he can see you. How long is the car ride? How does he do in the car? All three of my tiels enjoy car rides luckily.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Since you already broke quarantine, maybe take him with you? I would cover three sides and leave one uncovered so he can see you. How long is the car ride? How does he do in the car? All three of my tiels enjoy car rides luckily.
4h car ride.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
I would take your Pit Bull. If you don’t there’s the chance that he may not recognize you when you get back in 2 month. Especially if it’s your intent to have an interactive companion. Plus since his condition was never fully diagnosed if he gets sick again you have access to better care. And most importantly - you are worried about a 4h car ride when that isn't actually addressing the bigger issue. That issue is that it will cause him way more stress to be separated from his flock abruptly while he’s recovering, no way to know what’s going on and no one to take him to the vet if he doesn’t do well because he’s all of a sudden isolated and alone. If you don’t take him with I can almost guarantee you will regret it. Good luck.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Tau, my tiel, has very similar poops. Very wet, almost squirted out. Every tiel I've ever had has been similar. The Poop itself is well defined so not daiorrea. I see urates, just lots of liquid. I'll wager Pitbull drinks a lot of water.
On, and they get really mashed when dropped from any height.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Tau, my tiel, has very similar poops. Very wet, almost squirted out. Every tiel I've ever had has been similar. The Poop itself is well defined so not daiorrea. I see urates, just lots of liquid. I'll wager Pitbull drinks a lot of water.
On, and they get really mashed when dropped from any height.
So do you think he could still be healthy? My other tiel doesn't have watery poop. hmm And yes, Pitbull drink A LOT of water. By the end of the day I can see the water level drop by like a cm in his water cup. But I've read online that drinking soo much water is a sign of sickness too. :(

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Tau isn't sick, neither were my other tiels, they just seem(ed) to drink a lot. I have tried removing water from the cage and just providing it at certain times and this did work. I could do that again now but I don't really see a need if it's not doing any harm. It's not a symptom of illness, more just something my tiel does.
It cost me a fortune to have 3 independent AVs tell me to stop worrying.
Why Your Cockatiel Is Drinking So Much Water – Beak Craze
Yes, drinking lots of water CAN BE a sign of illness. Can also be a symptom of antibiotics. Not always though.

Last edited: