• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel got large spectrum antibiotic shot, now what

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
I posted this message in the beginning in another thread and was advised to bring it here.

Full story: bought a new cockatiel. It was sick. first 2 days he seemed fluffy and didn't move much. 3rd day he was a little more active. 4th day (today) he had blood poop and stopped eating whatsover. when he poops now he only poops water. I took him to a vet, didn't have a great experience. Followed vet orders but still looking for advice for more experienced bird owners as I feel this vet doesn't know about parrots. Here is the original message:

I came back from the vet. First off since there is no avian vet in Romania I had to go to a normal vet that he claims he has bird experience. So I went to the vet that told me that he is a bird enthusiast and he is a pigeon breeder. But to tell you the truth I don't really trust his opinion because he told me that all bird including the cockatiel need to have sand on the bottom of the cage and also that his sun flower seed diet could never be the problem here as birds know just well how much to eat to keep themselves healthy.

Anyways, a vet is better than no vet. He did a phisical exam where he held the cockatiel and felt his breast. He thinks there are no muscles at all on him and he told me his breast is purple which is bad. He said a healthy breast should be pink, not purple.

He thinks it is a sickness that affects young birds. This is how he phrased it. A sickness that lays dormant and is activated when he is in a very stressful situation. He told me that right now he is trying to treat him for 2 possible sicknesses. I don't remember the names for sure but one of them night have been E coli.

He said that the cockatiel is soo weakened that he doesn't want to do any blood work . Kept trying to suggest to do a blood work because maybe its something in his blood but he was adamant that the cockatiel is soo weak and he might die from the stress. He told me that for now he is going to give him an injection of large specter antibiotic for a week. He said that if the bird improves, we should see irpovements in 3 days. And after the antibiotic injections he will see that to do later.

Since he can only do a phisical exam because they don't have the equipment to treat birds as a bird vet, he told me that there is no point in brining Candy, my other tiel for a check. Only when she shows signs of sickness herself.

I moved Pitbull in another room again and he also suggested to put some vitamins in his water.

Tomorrow will be our second injection. Right now poor pitbull is resting back home in his cage.

What should I give Pitbull to make him feel confortable? He is still not eating or moving.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Was the blood poop red or black. Could the blood poop be checked, have you still got it.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Was the blood poop red or black. Could the blood poop be checked, have you still got it.
poop part was black black, just a black gloop, couldn't see see any urates. around it was red bright blood.

they couldn't do a sample since by the time I got to the vet today (4 hours later), it was dry on the paper.

simon777

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
The black was from internal bleeding, the red from near exit. If there is only water poop now, the internal bleeding has probably stopped. If he doesn't want to eat there may be pain in crop or stomach. Try getting him to take fluids or he will get dehydrated. I AM NOT AN EXPERT. I am just using logic to try to help you. Also I don't have a cockatiel I have a rainbow lorikeet.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Also, I have seen
The black was from internal bleeding, the red from near exit. If there is only water poop now, the internal bleeding has probably stopped. If he doesn't want to eat there may be pain in crop or stomach. Try getting him to take fluids or he will get dehydrated. I AM NOT AN EXPERT. I am just using logic to try to help you. Also I don't have a cockatiel I have a rainbow lorikeet.
thank you for the help. any input is awesome. any ideas how to force hidratate him in case he doesn't drink anything?

simon777

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
If he refuses to even drink putting slightly warm water on his skin or feet may help. Remember though getting him wet will mean you need to be even more careful about not letting him getting cold.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
another question. should I spend some time with the sick bird or let him be alone in the room? we've been together only for 4 days. he doesnt like me yet. I don't want my presence to stress him more, but I also read birds don't like to be alone.

simon777

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
I think you should sit on a chair as close as possible to him and softly and soothingly talk to him. Tell him how much you care about him, tell him you want him to get better. Spend all day and all night, if possible, being near him. (Remember how you liked your mother near you when you were sick as a child.) A sick bird is like a sick child, needs his mum (you) nearby showing how much you care and want him to get better. When Simon was very sick at the vet hospital I spent all day every day with him and I know he liked me being there while he felt so bad.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would talk to the vet too about giving him probiotics. I hope he feels better.

@enigma731 ?

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I responded on the other thread ;)

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
First poop today that has something in it. all the other poop have been a white liquid that doesn't really show on the towel paper.

He still has not eaten anything today or drank water.

Attachments

simon777

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
You need to hold the water bowl, or preferably nutritious liquid, close to his beak and beg him to drink. When Simon was refusing everything I would say "please darling, please have something. You need to eat/drink. I am sooo worried about you. Please, please for mummy". If your vet knows how to, Pitbull really needs a crop feed. If your vet doesn't know how to do this you need to find someone who can.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I mentioned it in the other thread but I'll repeat here in case you didn't get it. I beleive your bird is struggling against bad bacteria because there's no good bacteria in his gut,largely due to the antibiotics. You should speak to the vet about this, I don't know when the antibiotics will wear off enough to start this treatment.

@sunnysmom already mentioned this but it doesn't hurt to repeat good advice ;)

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
I mentioned it in the other thread but I'll repeat here in case you didn't get it. I beleive your bird is struggling against bad bacteria because there's no good bacteria in his gut,largely due to the antibiotics. You should speak to the vet about this, I don't know when the antibiotics will wear off enough to start this treatment.

@sunnysmom already mentioned this but it doesn't hurt to repeat good advice ;)
i read both threads haha but I differnt people have responded to both so I want to keep everyone updated. haha thats why im posting on both topics.

I will totally talk to him about probiotics!

unfortunatly since birdie is so new, as soon as I get close he moves away. I tried all day to handfeed him seeds but he won't eat from,my fingers, nor his bowl. :(

tomorrow morning is the second day of antibiotic shot. Im gonna tell everything you recommended guys to the vet!

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
let me tell you about this gutsy little fella. I opened his cage to change some water and he simply hoped off and started tip-taping on the floor like nobodies business. omg so much personality. like I was just sitting.on the floor and he walks slowly by me and chirping cute.

I took this opportunity and spritzed.him lightly with some warm water. I wanted to make him preen himself and get some water that way. it worked but just a little. didnt wet him a lot abd he only preened like 2~3 feathers but I think he got a bit of moisture from this hopefully. And omg he was so cute. He gave a small chirp and slowly tip taped to a corner of the room with shade. so smart and cute.

I will be so heartbroken if I lose this little fluffball. we ve been together only.for 4 days in the worst possible circumstance but he is already growing on me so much. :( im afraid of a sad outcome.

----

can I spritz him with water if he refuses to drink?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
You can't have the vet show you how to properly give him liquid? He will become dehydrated if he does not drink.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
You can't have the vet show you how to properly give him liquid? He will become dehydrated if he does not drink.
he bites like a bad dog.thats why his name is pitbull. and I mean that no joke. bits and doesnt let go until takes your fringrr off. I can't handle him like my other tiel. :(