• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel gender

Ambimeigh

Moving in
Can someone please help me identify the most likely gender of my 2 year 3 month old pearl cockatiel? Their name is Sunny! Sunny arrived at my home 2 days ago but the previous parent did not know the gender. I have a gray cockatiel, and his name is Petrie and he is very much a male. Their behavior is different, but I do not know if this is due to Sunny being in the new environment.

Attachments

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
based on the images, i would guess female. the flight feathers seem to have very bright yellow spots which is something that is not present in males as they mature. the tail feathers also seem to have the stripy pattern at the very base feathers.
i would watch the behavior as they get more used to the new surroundings, should clue you even better in on the sex!
and of course for the best answer, you can see if they lay an egg in about a year from now on. my female laid her first egg sometime around her third year.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
A female pearl will keep her pearl markings but a male will molt them out as they mature. So, if she's 2 years old, she's a girl and very cute!

Ambimeigh

Moving in
Sunny is a female! We got the DNA gender results from the original store that the previous owners had gotten her from. She is so perfect!

Reactions: Pie