• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Cockatiel emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.

iluvsunconure

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raymond :]
My friends cockatiel has a bloody blob between his anus and belly. Its like between the legs. What should I do? There is no bloody poop.

iluvsunconure

Real Name
Heres a pic. My friend said that his vet said that Omar (the tiel) is a male.

Attachments

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I honestly have no idea, it sounds to me like it could be one of these:

- Egg Bound
- Hemorrhoids
- Prolapse

Prolapsed Cloaca: how to prevent and how to treat this condition

I would take the 'tiel into an Avian Vet right away, even if it's a "male", it might be still something serious.. a bleeding vent is never a good sign.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
I think that needs to be seen by a vet immediately!

I can't really see it well in the picture, but it looks large.

Is it like a cut? Is it bleeding?

How did this happen? Did Omar have a nasty fall or fly into a wall?

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Keep him warm and hydrated until he can get to the vet...hopefully today as this could be very serious...

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
that tiel is definitely a female and that is definitely a prolapse....I do hope you can get the birdie to an avian vet ASAP.....in the meantime ke ep her warm

iluvsunconure

Real Name
I'm not sure cuz he said hes gonna go but yeah. I'm gonna call him now.... I TOLD him that the tiel is a female. He won't listen grrrrrr.

iluvsunconure

Real Name
He can't go to the vet. I just hope the tiel gets better. :(

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
A prolapse will not get better or fix itself!! She WILL die if not seen by a vet! a very painful death. It is absolutely sick to leave her in this condition and do nothing! Why can't he take her to the vet?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A prolapse will not get better or fix itself!! She WILL die if not seen by a vet! a very painful death. It is absolutely sick to leave her in this condition and do nothing! Why can't he take her to the vet?
Agreed. If your friend won't pay for treatment ask if he will at least surrender the bird to a vet.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
This is very sad. He most likely wont get better and is suffering in the process. If people cant bring their pets to a vet, they shouldnt have pets. Sorry if this sounds harsh but just think of the animal suffering, that is what I think about. :(

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I'm not sure cuz he said hes gonna go but yeah. I'm gonna call him now.... I TOLD him that the tiel is a female. He won't listen grrrrrr.
Unless the bird has been DNA SEXED a vet cannot tell the sex of a bird. Have your friend google that information if he isnt convinced that his bird may be a female. Do you know how many people thought they had a male bird only to find they layed an egg?:mad:

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily

Unless the bird has been DNA SEXED a vet cannot tell the sex of a bird. Have your friend google that information if he isnt convinced that his bird may be a female. Do you know how many people thought they had a male bird only to find they layed an egg?:mad:
thats untrue about the text of cockatiels. Just saying. they can be visually sexed.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I agree, it looks like a prolapse. A rough description is that her insides are coming out. Birds often start cannibalizing the tissue if it's left this way, and even if there are no other birds she may do it herself, which will cause her to slowly bleed to death. She WILL die without vet help. Not trying to be dramatic, but I had a bird who went through this. She didn't need surgery or anything to fix it, so I was lucky, but she did need vet attention to save her life.

Status
Not open for further replies.