1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel dislikes harness

Discussion in 'The Training Court' started by Tara81, 11/30/17.

1. ode.to.parrots

ode.to.parrots Jogging around the block

Cary
    And honestly, I think the whole 'birds get set in their ways' thing is a myth. People just think that because baby birds are super forgiving and then, suddenly, they are adults with an opinion who don't want to be manhandeled. If birds actually got set their ways, they wouldn't survive in the wild because they wouldn't be adaptable.

2. Tara81

Tara81 Sprinting down the street

Tara
    Thanks for your insight :) yeah I use a dog like carrier for my tiel. I should buy a cage next summer then if she doesn't want to go in the harness by then. :) yeah that video doesn't really show where she is able to get the bird to wear the harness on her back without picking at it, my tiel will put her head through willingly, but once I move the millet away she tries to take it off, so I don't move the millet away and take it off myself after a few seconds of it being around her neck. I'll try to make a video but she loves iPads and will ignore training if a recording device is in sight haha. Maybe I can get my bf to record on the sly :)

ode.to.parrots likes this.
  3. ode.to.parrots

Cary
    Having a video recording would not only help us give you pointers but would also help you understand your own training. :)

4. Tara81

Tara
    Yeah I guess I am doing it all wrong looking at the video. I have trouble taking it off quickly . It's so narrow lol.

5. Tara81

Tara
    Anyone have any tips how to get it off her head really fast ? Or any tips at all

6. Tara81

Tara
    Bump :) lol

7. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Rollerblading along the road

Diane
    I have no idea how to harness train but it looks like you guys are doing quite well! I bet with time and patience it will happen.

finchly likes this.
  8. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Rollerblading along the road

Diane
    Maybe @Animallover03 has some tips? She did a great job training Grumbles

9. Tara81

Tara
    So I've noticed the more attempts I try to take it off her he worse I get at getting it off her head. Lol, how do u take it off, sometimes she wants to take it off and moves away and then keeps moving away while trying to take it off herself so I'm like ahhhh noooo lol

@ode.to.parrots any thoughts :)

Help guys! Hehe photo for attention IMG_2043.JPG

10. Jas

Jas Walking the driveway

Jasmine
  11. finchly

finchly Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    Tara, I have a slightly different viewpoint on it than some of the others here - but I also have 2 birds that like to wear harnesses!
    First, I think you are right to try to teach her things at a young age. Hopefully you'll keep it up thru her life, but I think they are eager to learn when young.

Did you watch the video that comes with the Aviator harness? It is one hour long, but in it the man takes a young parrot and teaches all the parts that make up the whole of putting on a harness. I believe he also said to let them play with it. Or maybe that was @Eloy . I do not let mine play with it but I did work a lot at the very small parts of harness training. Turning her head toward the harness, praise and treat. Letting you touch her head with it, praise and treat. And so on. I spent a LOT of time letting my hand cover their eyes when I am petting, since it has to go over their head.

The harness only goes on and off when they stand on this certain perch. They are not supposed to get off the perch until told to do so.

To put it on and off, I first make sure my energy is low - nice and calm. I gather it all together and pop it over the head, give them one second to do whatever silly thing they were planning, then begin to do the wingies. Mine even let me adjust and adjust and adjust the cinch, I feel like it takes forever.

To remove it, I unbuckle and gently take each wing out, then I gather and hold it near the head and let them pull their head out themselves. I am not sure why this worked, but it was much better than pulling it over their heads.

I hope this helps? I feel like if I had known more and been more consistent, my cockatiels would also wear a harness.

12. finchly

finchly Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    Completely agree. Same with dogs. You can adopt a 10 yr old from a shelter and housebreak him in a few days, obedience train him....animals learn at every age.

Now that I watched your video yes, you are!

I feel that a lot of the people who say their birds ''won't' wear a harness actually do not put the consistent practice in to make it a habit.

TikiMyn, ode.to.parrots and Tara81 like this.
  13. HolliDaze

HolliDaze Sprinting down the street I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Machelle
    This isn't a Facebook group, no need for pics for attention!
    I wouldnt ever force it. It only takes a few bad experiences for her to learn that it she cooperates at all, it will become an unpleasant situation. Take as small steps as possible. Training any animal takes months of patience.
    Get her a small bird cage to use as a carrier. She can explore the world and meet new people without having to be out under unnecessary stress.

14. Tara81

Tara
    Lol sorry I just like showing off my cockatiel.

15. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Deanna
    I can see why, she’s so adorable and very photogenic!:heart:

Tara81 and finchly like this.
  16. ode.to.parrots

Cary
    Barbara Heindenreich also has a video or two that includes harness training. I know the flight training webinar also goes over harness training. She is the best in the field. Her website is goodbird.inc

But honestly, you seem to be going at a good pace. Try @finchly 's recommendations and see how it goes. :)

Tara81, TikiMyn and finchly like this.
  17. TikiMyn

TikiMyn Rollerblading along the road I Can't Stop Posting!

Robin
    I loved reading this thread, my lovies are also learning to wear a harness. I agree to go really slow. I stopped harness training Henkie for a while, but as soon as I took the harness out again after a month or maybe more, he immediately flew to it because he knows being close to the harness brings good things.
    It does depend on the bird though, how quick you can go. One of my ducks is really easy going with me putting harnesses on her. I can just get her and try different ones on to see which one fits best:lol:

I seems like you are doing a good job, don't worry! It might take some time, but you will get there.

finchly and Tara81 like this.
  18. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    I already told you. Practice on a small stuffed animal and hone your skills on that. Not on your bird.

Tara81 likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)