• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel constant night frights

Pibbty

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Neira
Hello! I'm VERY worried for my cockatiel. He, for some reason has night frights every night, sometimes two in a night. He flaps his wings around and screams. Last night he did some weird noise while breathing. I tried pretty much everything I saw on the internet, from covering the whole cage, only three sides, not covering the cage.. No light, light on, nigh lights... This started after he got his new cage, that is not wooden. I understand he might not like the cage, but is it possible that he hates it so much? I really paid the last penny to get a nice cage for him, and I have no regrets, but it makes my heart hurt that he cannot sleep properly. I cannot give the cage back, or change it. The wooden old one was hand made and started to get bad and he had chances to injure himself in it. I tried removing all toys, high perches, a smaller cage for sleeping... I have no other clue what to do. A breeder in a pet shop told me that birds dream and i cannot do anything to change that except that I can turn the lights on after he starts panicing. He is 1 year old this month, I bought him as a hand raised birdie at 2-3 months old. During the day he is a perfectly normal chatty and cuddly bird. But at the moment he goes to sleep the terror begins. I also removed the bottom gril in the cage since I thought he might get scared falling off his perch and having that noise going on, but no luck. We don't have Avian vets in my country, and I have no clue what to do. If he keeps doing this, my household members will sell him. Please help.

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
so what was his new cage made of and why didn't you get another wooden one? You could try to make everything in the new cage(toys,perches feeding bowl etc ) and put them in a similar place as the previous cage maybe.Or maybe he will get used to the new cage? Can't help much here,just some advice.Also maybe you could move the cage beside your bed?

Pibbty

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Neira
The new cage is a metal classic one. I didn't get a wooden one because he eats it, and It is hard to clean and bugs started to come in. Everything he had in his previous cage he has in the new one. I don't know I hope he will get used to it. the cage is very close to my bed. I guess time will tell..

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This is what stopped night frights in my male budgie. Bought this clip on lamp and extra bulb to use at night. It gives off a soft red/blue light that does not disturb the sleep cycle of a bird. I have been using it every night now for about 2 years and it keeps going strong. No further night frights at all.

Bird Night Fright Night Light Clamp Light With Bulb [5140301004] - $20.00 :

oddyssea

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
My boy used to get night terrors fairly often, for some reason cockatiels seem just more prone to it. I now only cover about two thirds of his cage, and leave a night light on for him. He still has a nightmare every now and then but not nearly as often.

If you’ve got a new cage for your bird give him time to get accustomed to his new set up. Hopefully once he gets used to his new surroundings and maybe leave a light on if you can, things will gradually improve.

Good luck!

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Might some white noise help, or very low recorded nature sounds from a CD or something?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
How long has he been in the new cage? If it's a recent change it may be that he's just not used to the new layout yet. In a fright he can't find the perches where they were before.