1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel cataract?

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Bird Mumma, 2/11/19.

1. Bird Mumma

Bird Mumma Checking out the neighborhood

Hi everyone,

I’m new here. Found your wonderful site when researching my Oscie’s eye issue.

My rescue cockatiel came to me with special needs three years ago. He/she (will find out in a few days!) was said to have had a stroke, thereby losing the right eye. So his/her left eye is even more important and the vision in this eye has only ever been partial/light/shade/movement.

Oscie manages just fine and I make sure to talk a great deal, make everything routine and keep the cage arrangement the same etc.

Just over a week ago, my cockatiel’s behaviour changed. The good eye was lidded much more, so seemed sleepy to me. The good eye seemed to have a cloudy appearance. Not much interest in food and fairly frequent yawning action. Straight to the avian vet.

Oscie was diagnosed with a bacterial infection in the crop. No other infection so started a course of antibiotics. Bloods were fairly unexciting, except for a liver value which was elevated (6 instead of a range of 0-2). Is now on 0.01ml of St Marys’s Thistle twice a day; bloods to be repeated at the three week mark. The good eye was said to have a cataract. I contacted an ophthalmologist who advised that they do not operate on cockatiels due to the anaesthetic required and the size of the bird.

Oscie is much more him/herself now BUT strangely the good eye is looking different to what I would expect. The cloudy white seems to look angular rather than round like you would expect with a cataract. I know I shouldn’t doubt the vet (esp given the amount of money I’ve paid!!) BUT I’m just not sure. I’ve attached a few photos which I think are pretty clear. Would love some advice/input, please.

Many thanks!! BE7FA133-9749-4288-B740-918B69C983AA.jpeg 15C9F051-E673-40F8-881C-24F62B095EA9.jpeg 7583EFDB-114D-45ED-85EF-AF49F7E5C4FB.jpeg

2. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    Welcome to the forum. Hopefully, others can answer your questions, but I just wanted to say that Oscie is adorable.

@Birdbabe ? @Hankmacaw ?

3. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

That's a cataract, my Kiwi is blind from them in both eyes, but, he still can see " shadows "..hes a floor bird because he has no tail, half of one wing and crippled up feet. He gets along just fine as long as I dont move anything, not even an inch. He knows the house,,knows where the food and water is, and sleeps on a wide flat perch. I have to bring him out and put him back in the cage. Hes 15 years old, it'll take some adjusting, but, your baby will adapt and be ok. Just remember to announce yourself before touching or picking him up so he dosent get scared. Alot of us have special birds, others should be on soon with advice.

Rain Bow, Shezbug, Bird Mumma and 4 others like this.
  4. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Oscie is beautiful. If you are not sure about the vet's diagnosis you could always go to another vet and get a second opinion.
    Does sound like a cataract, though. Keep placement of items in the cage consistent.

Rain Bow, Shezbug and Bird Mumma like this.
  5. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    He’s a cute!:heart: I’m sorry he’s having these issues, and I hope the infection clears up quickly. You sound like a very good parront to Oscie, so I’m sure that with your help he will adapt okay if he can’t see well anymore.
    :hug8:

Rain Bow, Shezbug and Bird Mumma like this.
  6. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mary Lynn Skinner
    Welcome to AA Bird Mamma. Cataracts are not always perfectly round, in fact, they can be almost any random shape. I agree that your baby has a cataract and you will need to prepare him and yourself for the future. He will adjust much more quickly than you ever expected.

My Hank, the bird in my avatar, had one eye blinded by a cataract and a small one in his other eye. He got in just as much trouble as before his cataracts.

7. Bird Mumma

Bird Mumma Checking out the neighborhood

Thank you so much everyone. I appreciate it most sincerely. Yes, he/she is a darling bird. Thank you for the compliments, I’ll be sure to pass them on. Oscar is eating well again and has returned to his/her standard weight. Even back to eating spinach as of today! Sadly the previous owner only fed seeds and try as I might, pellets have not been accepted. Spinach was the breakthrough about six months ago.

I announce myself even louder now and he/she seems content. Still seems sleepy BUT that’s from him/her keeping the cataract eye lidded more. I guess if the vision is further diminished or not there at all, he/she may become unaware if it is open/closed?

I’ll take Oscar to the other avian vet for the blood test.

Rain Bow and Tiel Feathers like this.
  8. Rain Bow

Rain Bow Sprinting down the street

Rain
    Just a little comment. My Buddy has issues w/ one of his eyes. It actually hurts him. I noticed that when he's calm & just chillin, he will close his lid. The other eye will be open. To me in the beginning, I thought it was a sleepy thing too. I learned if the head/beak isn't in the buried back position (we call it super sleeping) it's probably a relaxing but fully ear alert aware position. Maybe start working on teaching different sound/words mean different things, like use a bell by the door as their door bell you ring gently & explain before sticking your hands into the cage. An alert for them. I did that when I first got Buddy so he knew I was gonna put my hands in the cage. Sounds dumb but it worked. He stopped trying to eat me when my hand was into the door space.

Just a thought/set of thoughts! Lol!

:welave:

:gbh: Rain

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)