• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel breeding

Aldosky

Moving in
Hmm okay, hello everyone. I am relatively new here and i am still trying to figure everything out. I had a simple question. So my cockatiel is laying a clutch of eggs right now, and I am pretty sure that the eggs are not fertilised. So, since i was planning on breeding her one day my question is: How many times can a cockatiel lay eggs in a lifetime? I don't know how it works, if they can do it every year or only once or.

Thankyou anyone for an answer.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Once or twice a year is healthy.
You have to monitor eggs with cockatiels as they are notorious for becoming chronic egg layers.
I suggest you keep a journal for your bird.

So, since i was planning on breeding her one day
Please make that ¨one day¨ to be after you have done plenty of research, have your unclipped birds on a healthy diet with lots of flight time, have funds available for vet visits and know what you will do with the chicks.

If your hen is laying now, be sure you are fullfilling her nutritional needs.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Laying eggs is hard on a female tiel's body. Generally, it's good to discourage egg laying if possible. And it's important for a tiel who is laying to have a healthy diet.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hmm okay, hello everyone. I am relatively new here and i am still trying to figure everything out. I had a simple question. So my cockatiel is laying a clutch of eggs right now, and I am pretty sure that the eggs are not fertilised. So, since i was planning on breeding her one day my question is: How many times can a cockatiel lay eggs in a lifetime? I don't know how it works, if they can do it every year or only once or.

Thankyou anyone for an answer.
Sometimes they lay eggs and eggs and eggs....none of them fertile. This is very hard on their bodies. A vet can help you with that, or you can find many threads here about it.