• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockateil won't sit on the egg

Jhan

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi my cackateils both 2 years of age laid 3 eggs 18 days ego and today they both stopped laying on the eggs they go in and out gradually through the day but they don't stay in there for too long I've checked the eggs and they are cold. Does that mean the eggs have gone bad. And is there anything I can do to save the eggs.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think cockatiels ususally hatch in about 21 days.
So they are around the age where the parents would start hearing the chicks in the eggs.
The eggs may be infertile and the parents can now sense this and are losing interest. Or perhaps the eggs were fertile but the parents did not do a good job incubating them and they never developed. They are a bit young, and it's common for a pair's first clutch to not hatch.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes parents won't sit as tight right before babies start hatching. If they are cold though, it could mean they have actually been abandoned. I'd still consider leaving the eggs alone though because they could act as a deterrent for future laying. You could always candle them to see if they are/were fertile. If you see dark blotchy stuff in the egg, it was fertile. If just a little clear and yellow cast, then infertile.