• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Coccidiosis

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
We've lost one hen and are fighting to save another from suspected coccidiosis :( Has anyone here dealt with it before? We're buying Corrid tomorrow to try to help. I'm concerned for our cats/dogs/birbs. We've been washing hands like crazy out here! It's our first sickness outbreak, and it's a bummer..:(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I'm so sorry Chelsea. Blessings my friend!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have not dealt with that myself, but I empathize with how hard it is. Poor birds :(

The best advice, you need to be obsessive about cleaning up their waste. The infected birds should be strictly quarantined. Protozoa are very difficult to resolve. It is contagious through feces or tissue contact.

I would consult a farm vet if you are having an outbreak. They will have better advice on how to tackle this. It can spread to other species.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Do you keep your chickens in an enclosed area? If not, I would do that with high fencing to keep the dog, cat and other critters away from them.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
We've lost one hen and are fighting to save another from suspected coccidiosis :( Has anyone here dealt with it before? We're buying Corrid tomorrow to try to help. I'm concerned for our cats/dogs/birbs. We've been washing hands like crazy out here! It's our first sickness outbreak, and it's a bummer..:(
Hey Chelsea, having a bunch of chickens ourselves I can relate to this.
Each species of poultry have their own species of coccidiosis that infect them. For example the species of coccidiosis in chickens will not cause disease in turkeys or geese and vice versa.
Get some Harkers Coxoid, ( TSC farm store has this )and mix it into their water.
The parasites found in the ground or bird feces attaches itself to the lining in the gut, multiplies and becomes an oocyst feeding in the digestive tract which will make it bleed.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Thanks @Hawk12237 ! The medicine is in their water now! The sick hen made it through the night in quarantine, she's still got sass, even though she's too weak to stand. I gave her a sausage breakfast sandwich to get her to eat, and thankfully she started drinking once I put the meds in and started splashing the water with my fingers. Now for a heavy duty coop cleaning!!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Thanks @Hawk12237 ! The medicine is in their water now! The sick hen made it through the night in quarantine, she's still got sass, even though she's too weak to stand. I gave her a sausage breakfast sandwich to get her to eat, and thankfully she started drinking once I put the meds in and started splashing the water with my fingers. Now for a heavy duty coop cleaning!!
Your welcome!!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Mockinbirdiva they're currently free range, but we plan on changing that! They like to roost on the porch and cover it in poo!
I'm glad you will contain them. The sooner the better. If you even step in a little poo and walk in the house you're tracking the coccidiosis into your home, kids crawling on the floor and maybe eventually a cockatoo getting down on the floor. I have an Oreck floor steamer and I love it for clean up on hard surfaces. It won't do for carpet because there's no attachment for gliding over the carpet.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Looks like the hen isn't going to make it.... Hoping I'm proved wrong in the morning. At least we've treated all of the others to prevent any more losses. :o:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe :( I am so sorry. Poor thing :sad5::sad4:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Unfortunately once they get it and it goes to far, they don't make it. It can spread throughout your flock like wild fire.
They can bleed out from intestines. Their poo turns black. Tsc has stuff to treat it with. You can syringe feed the hen with the liquid...even mashed up food along with it.
I tried myself to save a few chicken we lost 6 one year, a few years back from that.
Total treatment of flock and good spray down of coop.

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
How has it been going with your outbreak?

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
It's not going! Thank goodness! We ended up losing one white hen and one black hen, but treated everyone with Corrid for over a week, and haven't had any problems! I cleaned the coop, water buckets, etc, and we no longer serve human table scraps on the ground, we use a plate to try to prevent future outbreaks.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It's not going! Thank goodness! We ended up losing one white hen and one black hen, but treated everyone with Corrid for over a week, and haven't had any problems! I cleaned the coop, water buckets, etc, and we no longer serve human table scraps on the ground, we use a plate to try to prevent future outbreaks.
Thank you for the update! I am pleased that you got ahead of it! :goodjob:

I am very sorry for your losses :( It could have been worse, but it is always hard when something like this takes the lives of our lovelies.