1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

clipping wings...

Discussion in 'Cockatoo Causeway' started by galah!, 4/21/17.

1. galah!

galah! Walking the driveway

Pia
    I've been really torn on whether i should clip my future bird's wings or not.
    could you please give me the pros and cons of clipping them?
    thank you!:laugh:
    Pia

2. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    If it's at all possible, please consider your future bird to fully feathered. Birds fly, and it promotes good physical and mental health...:)

Brendajean71, sunnysmom and Gddmsam like this.
  3. Gddmsam

Gddmsam Walking the driveway

Sam
    It's healthier for a bird to be able to fly, both mentally and physically.
    The only pro as far as I can tell is for training purposes, but even that is debated. If you keep your bird in a non bird safe room, please bird proof the room or move it to a safer location that is bird proof.
    Personally I wish I had never clipped Boba as I think it actually hindered his and my bonding, and opened him up to being more suceptable to falling injuries.

cassiesdad likes this.
  4. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Why do you want a bird if you don't want it to fly?

Here's how this question sounds to me. I want to have a child but I don't want it running around all over the place so I'm considering breaking its legs. It's not permanent. It will heal. What does everybody think?

5. Clueless

Clueless Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

We own two wild caught amazons. I do keep them clipped right now but it's for the safety of the humans in my house. Their clip is a mild one that allows them to fly down safely, just not able to go after humans. Secret actually stalked me on the floor when they first moved in. You've never experienced fear until a small bird is after you.

6. galah!

Pia
    Thanks guys:)
    How would i go about training him/her so that he/she doesn't fly away from me to a higher spot where i can't reach him???

7. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    You start out by providing the proper "adapted" safe environment so they can fly wherever they want and there's no need to "reach him".

Animallover03 likes this.
  8. Chopper

Chopper Rollerblading along the road

Mary lynn Snowman
    Please don't clip your bird.

JLcribber likes this.
  9. Shinobi

Shinobi Sprinting down the street

Canton Beach, Central Coast, NSW, Australia.
    Peter
    The secret is time, lots and lots of time of bonding and training. Like all animals if you want a well-behaved and trained animal then you need to put in the time.
    Of course you will need some tools to address this problem. 1 is a clicker, 2 training treats and 3 a T-perch.

The only other advice I can give is
    1 move slowly around the bird
    2 let the bird come to you.
    3 Don't force the bird to do anything that it doesn't want to do.
    4 make the trust building and bonding sessions (training) fun
    5 end all training sessions on a positive.
    6 patience.

Remember food is a great motivator.

galah! likes this.
  10. jmfleish

jmfleish Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Premium Vendor Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Jen
    Kishka was my first bird that I got as a baby who wasn't clipped...well his breeder didn't think she clipped him and then realized that she had clipped the outer two flights on each wing. He could still fly just fine though.

Galahs are incredibly good flyers. They are small and light birds with a huge wingspan. So, if you do clip, you practically have to clip off every flight to ground them. It's almost not worth doing. The other problem with clipping is that Galahs are also prone to fatty tumors, so the more exercise they can get, the better off they will be health wise. Of course this is true of all birds but it's especially true of Galahs.

All five of my Galahs are fully flighted, even the naughty pink twins, Kishka and Fozzie. I had Kishka clipped once when he was super hormonal to see if that would help. It didn't. He couldn't fly and dive bomb me anymore but he was equally good at hoping to get me. Clipping just didn't matter, so I let his feathers grow out again.

11. galah!

Pia
    thanks guys;)
    i think i will not clip and just use a harness when we're bonding, sound alright?

12. jmfleish

jmfleish Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Premium Vendor Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Jen
    You shouldn't need a harness to train a bird. Favorite treats and scratches should be plenty. Addison was never clipped and I can't remember a day that I couldn't keep her off me. If I want to get things done around the house, I have to put her in her cage because she has to sit on me otherwise!:)

Animallover03 likes this.
  13. galah!

Pia
    ok, no harness just treats and lots of scritches:rolleyes:

14. nellysmom

nellysmom Jogging around the block Avenue Veteran

Diane
    Clipping is a personal choice. Many factors to consider. Safety being one of them. My Citron TOO is kept clipped. She is 28 years old and happy,healthy and well adjusted

15. galah!

Pia
    hmmmm... i'll keep thinking, whatever's best for him/her:xflove:

16. Pipsqueak

Pipsqueak Rollerblading along the road

Just interested what the safety concerns are ? What factors are to consider, please elaborate.

Mizzely likes this.
  17. Pipsqueak

Pipsqueak Rollerblading along the road

And what do you think is best for a bird?

18. galah!

Pia
    not clipping the wings. i don't believe clipping them is wrong, i just thought that birds are meant to fly in the wild, so why not as pets too?

Gddmsam and Pipsqueak like this.
  19. Laylatoo

Laylatoo Strolling the yard

Layla came to me clipped. Jasper was fully flighted but I harness trained him when he was little so I could take him outside. Layla loves being outdoors and I'm trying to introduce a harness so that she can still enjoy it when she grows her flight feathers out but at 3 years old she is less than thrilled with the harness. I'm remaining hopeful. She flew away from the previous owners and was missing for 5 days which is why they clipped her. Ideally I'd like to let her be unclipped but she honestly doesn't seem unhappy as a clipped bird at this point.

20. Mizzely

Mizzely Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Shawna
    It's illegal in many countries to clip. That speaks volumes.

A clipped bird can still escape. I know this because my mother in law lost a severely clipped cockatiel and he ended up miles away and dead.

A clipped bird is at the mercy of the wind, predators, etc. Nothing safer there.

A clipped bird is at risk for many health issues, including heart disease and fatty liver disease.

On the other hand, a flighted bird is able to exercise, keeping itself healthier.

A flighted bird is more confident, and is happier.

A flighted bird is less likely to develop behavior problems like plucking and screaming.

And there is a much deeper bond with a bird who chooses to spend time with you because it can fly to you versus one who has no choice because it is at your mercy.

A quote that sticks with me is , "A ship is always safest at the harbor, but that is not what it was built for."

A bird was built for flight. To deny it flight takes away millions of years of evolution. It's bad enough we deny them all the other things they evolved to do: have miles of territory, huge flocks, have mates. Shouldn't they have this ONE thing?

cassiesdad, Lincee, galah! and 4 others like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)