• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clipping Nails?

dockfam4

Moving in
Real Name
Jennifer
Hi there, I'm new to the board. I took in my 14 trolls U2 about two yrs ago as a rehome. I think they had just clipped his nails before I took him but now he has just one nail on his right foot that is so long it makes his toe turn sideways when he walks.
He wants to attack the nail file and any large clippers but I was able to find a tiny pair that I can hide in my hand and get a quick clip with before he notices what I'm up to. It needs a good 1/4 inch clip but I'm afraid of hitting the quick. Any advice?
His others seem to be fine and trimmed from his pedi perch. Not sure why this one is out of control. I can't take him anywhere, he's not a good traveler and he would probably bite any stranger that tries to hold him so having some one come to do a house call is a no-go not to mention there aren't any mobile bird groomers around here.
Help?

dockfam4

Moving in
Real Name
Jennifer
That was supposed to say *14 yr old U2. Darn autocorrect!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Give it a about 2 weeks time between nips. The quik will recede slowly as you progressively trim the nail shorter.

I tiny clip of the quik is not the end of the world. Have some quik-stop on hand anyways.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with John, just do a little bit at a time. I've found I can do it weekly. In my experience, cockatoos don't normally have the quick that close the tip so as long as you aren't super aggressive about it, you'll probably be fine. Or, you can take him to the vet. No matter how aggressive he is, any good vet can handle him. I have a super aggressive amazon and the vet handles him just fine. If you just nip the quick a little bit and its seeping, just don't make a big deal about it. Normally I just put them back in the cage and let it clot on its own and I keep an eye on them. Messing around wtih quick stop always seems to draw attention to it and then they get nervous so I save it for if its really dripping.

After you have the nail to the right length, you might want to start doing some clicker training to accept nail trimming or filing. Most cockatoos are so snuggly and don't mind having their feet held that you can baby step up to allowing clipping without too much hassle. My cockatoo was super scared of clipping when she was a baby but she was still a hands on snuggly 'too. So I just started out clicking and giving treats while I held her feet and progressed to treats for examining each toe. Then because she was afraid of clippers, I started with a file and began just examining her toes while giving treats with the file laying a few inches away. Then clicking and giving treats while touching toes with the file in my hand. Then click and treats for the file touching a toe. Then jackpot treats for the first small swipe of the file across a nail. Progress from there. I think it only took us 2-3 weeks before I could file a couple toes a night and eventually I could just sit and do them. We continued to work on it on and off and after a year or so I could use clippers on her. Now, if anything she thinks getting her nails done is a little too fun. She squats and does the female cockatoo sexual shudder and heavy breathing thing when I do her nails. I guess whatever trips her trigger.:)

dockfam4

Moving in
Real Name
Jennifer
Thank you, I'm going to get some quik stop tomorrow and try another snip (it's been a week since the last one) we'll see how it goes!!