1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clipping fighter parrot?

Discussion in 'Safety Avenue' started by Atous, 7/16/17.

1. Atous

Atous Meeting neighbors

Hello all!

Ever sense Pepe escaped, we've been thinking about possibly clipping Flit feathers.

I felt that birds are meant to fly and that it's selfish to take it away. We also have too cats and we feel it's much safer for her to be able to fly. There's been a time or two where she'll be sitting on my knee and our cat, even with two bells, sneaks up and tries to Pat her and she's been able to avoid her.

We're also moving to a new apartment where the front door leads outside. We've come up with a plan to preventing her from getting out from the patio but we're not sure what to do about the front door.

She also just learned to fly maybe a month ago and I'd hate to take her joy. I'm also worried that shell hurt herself trying if I clip them.

What do we do??

2. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Rollerblading along the road

Diane
    I know you said it's a new rental so it might be trickier but could you possibly install some kind of 2nd door? Like a screen door?

3. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    not sure where you are from but if you can get curling ribbon hang it about 2 feet before the door and as long as you can from ceiling to floor. my 2 don't go beyond it. I use 4 pony beads to hold it down on each ribbon and because I live apt. I used heavy duty fishing line on the ceiling with Cup hooks to suspend it from the ceiling. see pictures
    IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG

4. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

I say,,,,don't get mad,,,never have her out unless the cats are secured. If your coming and going in the front door, keep her caged and safe until your in for the day and then let her out.

Hankmacaw likes this.
  5. Monica

Monica Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Monica

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)