• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clipping Babies?

Rob

Walking the driveway
I asked for my bird to not be clipped before coming home. They told me that they already clipped him/her because it was necessary for the hand feed process. Is this a normal occurrence?

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
How old are they? Sadly, some breeders will always clip their birds, though I've never heard of it being because it's necessary for the hand feeding process. That to me just sounds lazy. Hopefully they were given a chance to fledge and learn how to fly, otherwise you will likely have a very clumsy bird on your hand.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I agree with LunaLovebird, sounds to me like a breeder who does not want the extra trouble of having to properly manage a flighted baby. I would tell him very explicitly that you Will not have his wings clipped, and if he does iT anyway, don’t be afraid to askhim why he ignored your humble request

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I am afraid this thread may open a can of worms.
I have had this happen to me before. It really can affect the birds. My pi Prudence was clipped young and is not a very good flier. Unfortunately unless you catch the breeder before they have done it and they agree not to clip you are out of luck.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
You can feed the birds without clipping the wings. Wings are clipped to keep birds from flying.
I'm sorry they told you that.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I totally understand! IT really sucks, and I am sorry for both you and the bird! Really frustrating that he did it anyway, I would personally try to keep asking why he did it and try to inform him why it is better ti leave them flighted at least when they are young, but well that is probably wanted energy:shifty: At least your baby is going to great home:heart: What species is he/she?

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Depending on severity of clip he may be able to glide or get some lift. Years ago when I started with birds all birds were clipped. Just the way it was. I always felt bad so my lightly clipped conure would try to fly. So when I had had enough of clipping I wanted him to build up muscles. Did this by taking him a few feet from cage and get him to start short flights to cage. Then moving further and further, til he was making small circles in room on clipped wings. Again not a severe clip and he was a light bird so lift was not too hard. Once wings grew out he was a pro. So you may be able to get him to get some flight. Unless they clipped him so bad he falls like a rock. If that is the case you can always pluck a few flight feathers to get them to grow in and he can start flying. Not really recommended cause it is painful. Luckily they grow back

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Again just to be clear I do not recommend plucking the wings unless very necessary and should not be done by someone that doesn't know what they are doing. There is a certain way to be done to protect new feathers and making sure the ones that will give the best flight ability. If I were you just encourage a lot of flapping and short distant flying to build muscles and when the bird is 6-8 months you will have a flighted bird again

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I agree, Fëanor was clipped in gus previous home, had been flighted before, and I just started training. He got his muscles back and Became so used to flying with clipped wings, that he used WAY too force to fly when he got more flight feathers back. He is like a canon taking off:D

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Most breeders do clip babies but more because that's the way it was always done and it's easier to control the babies in the house before they leave to their new home. Many breeders believe that it's safer to pass a baby to its new owner clipped too because they don't have a whole lot of confidence in us, the new owner. I've had this happen to me a few times now. You have to let them know right away you do not want the bird clipped and you have to be adamant about it. I've run into some breeders who refuse to sell a baby if it isn't clipped and that's when I walk away. I'm sorry this happened to you and your baby. Chances are pretty good that you shouldn't have too much of a problem letting the bird grow out its wings and learn to fly after that first molt. The idea that a baby bird needs to be clipped in order to hand feed it is simply laziness on the part of the breeder.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
My Charlie was clipped before I got him. They never even asked. When I called the store, they said the breeder does this before turning them over to the store to be showcased before being sold. When I took Charlie to the vet, Dr. Lawrence said they "shredded" his wing feathers and that they cut way too many feathers. They should only cut 3-4 flight feathers above the vein line. She doesn't even like to do it unless it is for the safety of the bird. Sola, who is the most skittish bird was going to her's clipped and as we took her out of her cage (she had a raspberry on her head like a helmet) the doctor freaked because it looked like Sola had some type of head trauma. Sola didn't react normally I think because of that. Once they took that helmet off though, she flew around and around the room. Dr. Lawrence said, now how would you feel if that's something you could do and then all of a sudden someone took away that ability? I left without clipping sola (I wanted her clipped because I was afraid of her running into windows and walls) and I'm sure glad I did!

I was warned sometimes but not always, cutting their flight feathers for our convenience causes insecurities in the birds as they are prey animals and we've just disabled one of their biggest defenses. I agree. If I felt like I was being attacked and was running in knew deep mud instead of being able to run free, I'd feel less than too. I'd have fears and nightmares.

Sorry for being so long winded. Not clipping, unless for medical reasons or severe safety issues, no clipping is my motto.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Great post @Familyof12 ! Fëanor was clipped as well when he came here, and the also cut of all the flight feathers:bash: But lovebirds are not so heavy, and he learned to fly short distances like that. Now he is molting like crazy(again), and almost all his flight feathers are coming back! He could fly before they clipped him, I don’t know if that played a role, but the clipping did certainly make him really insecure, and when he slipped he crashed into the floor. Thankfully he never got hurt and is flying again now!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The wings have already been clipped. I’ve never been this angry. But I’m also not going to leave a Bird I’ve bonded with there
Now you understand the ugly side of most pet breeding. It's not about what that animal needs or what's good for it. It is about profit. Producing a "product" as quickly, efficiently and easiest way possible with the least amount of effort

Make them. Get them out as fast as possible to make room for more/new ones . Once they're gone it's no longer their concern. They don't have to live with them. Just make em.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Yes I agree with @JLcribber on this one. I was pretty upset when I found out that my husband paid over $1,500 for him and he had no DNA done already. I found out his cage was kept on the floor so he only saw people's feet. No one ever really saw him as there were so many cages. They also hotel birds so there are lots of them plus they allow dogs and cats into the store.

To make a long story short, I let them have it. Their excuse was the breeder did it and they had no control. Well, I suppose if she stopped selling birds from this breeder that would be control. "Shredded" was the word the vet used. She said scissors that were not sharp so cut unevenly and all of them except the first two so it looked like he wasn't clipped!!!!

He drops like a rock, and thank goodness he trusts me now as I've caught him so many times in mid-air while he was dropping, now he just allows me to hold him on his back. *sigh* My new game with him is to hold him and run through the house to make him flap his wings. I want him to try to do keep trying and not give up. I'm terrified he's going to hurt himself falling as he has no fear being a caique.

Charlie is a male. He's healthy other than feathers, thank goodness. I'm going to take him back for another checkup in three months. I'll continue to do this like baby checkups until I feel he is fully grown at a year and a half and then it will be as needed or his once a year check up. I don't trust the breeder nor do I trust the store my husband purchased him from. It makes me sad.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Luckily Charlie is with you now:heart: Really horrible, that store:( That they kept him on the floor, even more with Dogs and cats around, is unbelievable!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
:hehe: I spot the king ruling the roost from his seat:lol: We have to be good servants, or we Will feel iT:lol: