• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cliping Nails

BirdyLove

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Milly
How do you clip birdy nails cause Georgies are so long now that I actually get big red marks on my shoulder and stuff?! Please, advice needed! Also, Georgies poo is green but she's always eating grass and stuff so I wasn't sure if anything was a problem?! She's already aick anyway with is terrible so I hope ther isn't anything else!! :sad8::no:

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Birdy nail clipping can be done yourself with a dremel or nailfile but it is very nerve wracking.

For the bird and for you.

This is because Georgie has a real live blood vessel running partway down through her nails. If you hit THAT, there will be a great deal of drama before you stop the bleeding.

Your poor little sick birdie deserves better. Let her get well first before you start another cosmetic drama.

Have she seen a vet?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you don't know what your doing then you need to let the vet trim the nails the first time so you can watch and learn how to do it "quickly and correctly" to minimize the stress on the bird.

BirdyLove

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Milly
Ok. Yes she has!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How often should they be clipped?
If and when they need it. Some birds can maintain themselves. Some can't. Usually the larger the bird the more need there will be for trimming.

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
This is going to sound dumb I'm sure but how do I know if she needs it?:o:
Not dumb at all. For our little guy, it's about twice a year. He has a nice "pedi perch" between his food and water dishes that does a pretty good job of keeping his nail tips from getting too sharp, but they can't totally keep up with new growth. Once his nails grow past a certain length, they no longer contact the perch at the proper angle to keep the tips down and he starts developing sharp little needle tips that scratch us and get caught in loose fabric (like sweaters). That's when we know it's time to get them dremeled back down.