• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clicker training question

htee

Meeting neighbors
Hey so i've recently started clicker training with just one of my birds. But i have 4 birds in total so im wondering how am i supposed to train my other birds when they can all hear the clicker sound? Because if one of them is in the cage and they hear the click sound from me training another bird, wouldnt that stuff up the training? Would i have to go into another room or something?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I have the same problem!
I trust on my lovies knowing when I am adressing the other(I train one and have the other stay on a second training perch) but it is not iDeal and I think confusing for them. If you have the opportunity to use a different room I would defianlty do that. I am planning to get a second clicker, a different brand, perhaps the sound Will be slightly different so I can use one for Each bird:)

htee

Meeting neighbors
Hmm.. yeah i was worried that it will confuse them. I guess ill have to buy a portable perch and go into another room then. thanks though! :)

Serin

Sprinting down the street
I have three society finches, two java sparrows and a budgie who are all being clicker-trained to come when called and step up. I train them all at once, and they take turns doing a command. I too thought it would confuse them, but I noticed quickly that the birds not being directly addressed wait patiently and don't seem to get confused. Indeed, if I train one group while the other is in their cage, the caged birds ignore the click entirely. Once out and being worked with, however, they know what it means and get excited by it.

htee

Meeting neighbors
Oh wow thats amazing. But how do they know that theyre not being addressed? I tried to do it with my birds and they all fly to me at once... Did you train them to know their names or something? And when you train them do you have your birds all next to each other? or different sides of the room?

Serin

Sprinting down the street
They're all out on top of the cage together though sometimes I train only four at once and not all six. Their cue is basically to fly to my outstretched finger when I call their name. If the wrong bird comes to the name it doesn't get a treat, so they don't fly to me unasked too much. Some are better at coming to their own name than others.

htee

Meeting neighbors
Ohh wow its great they know their name. Alright i will try that with mine. thank you very much :)