• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaning Bowls?

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
After some research it looks like using the dishwasher is not sufficient for truly disinfecting water bowls. That surprised me since the water gets so hot!

Many sites recommend using bleach but I hate the stuff.

I personally switched to using Star San (post my discovery about dishwashers), although I know a lot of members would recommend F10.

After looking at the manufacturer's recommendations I put together step-by-step instructions for disinfecting bird water bowls on my blog (at the bottom of the post).

Do you have a different routine?

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
I just hand wash them in dish detergent every morning, separate sponge for the birds, extra rinse, and towel dry.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I wash just like I wash my stuff - in hot water with suds by hand. I don't believe in creating sterile environments.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I just wash them by hand in hot water and dish soap making extra careful to rinse them well. I really don't think you need to "sterilize" them...just my opinion

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't believe in creating sterile environments.
Finally I can read that someone really think like me. :)

I never use F10 or Virkon S if my birds are well and healthy. But I do clean everything with water (cages) and food bowls with water and dish soap every day.
Water bowls I often just rinse (3 times/day) and perhaps every second or third day using dish soap.
All their stuff is really clean, you never see poop on anything, I remove that directly, but only with baby wipes or with warm water.
And that is for creating a good immune system.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I wash the bowls every morning with dish detergent and hot water, I have a separat towel for drying