• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clean cage

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I have recently lost a bird do to unknown reasons we took him to a vet and he was put on a antibiotic but unfortunately we still lost him, we have another cockatiel and want to move her into his old cage as it is a bigger and better cage then the one she is in, we are going to be getting a baby tiel and using hers for the new one. My question is we where told by our vet to bleach the cage and throw out all perches and toys and get new ones , and once we bleach it to then wash it again with hot water and soap, i was wounded if anybody had any suggestions as to if there is anything I else I should do to it to make sure it is completely cleaned and sanitized? I don't want to chance my girl getting sick. We also boiled his bowels in water , they are stainless steel

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so sorry about your tiel.
:sadhug2:
There is a product called F10 that is a wonderful, broad spectrum disinfectant that is easy to use since it doesn't require rinsing.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Bleach is actually a pretty good disinfectant but it can start to corrode things if used to often. I would go ahead and use the bleach now and have another less corrosive disinfectant on hand for the future.

Have you had your current remaining bird vet checked for health. That is the best thing you can do to protect your new bird. Also quarantining the new bird for at least 45 days is and having a health check done on the new bird is the best thing you can do for your current bird. Disease and germs shared between the birds are even more likely than environmental transfer. You'll want to cover all your bases.

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Yes we had her checked the day after he died . Besides being a chronic egg layer she's healthy.

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I was wondering how long to Quarantine the new bird. I'm glad you told me that I didn't it should be 45 days