• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Citron Cockatoo Questions

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I have only the most basic sketch of a routine. Most days they are let out sometime in the evening. Not every night, and the amount of time varies and it might be any were from 12pm to 12 am or maybe even into the very early morning hours. They get toys. At some point in the day they get some type of fresh food, but they could get it in the morning on a weekend or after 4pm during the work week. Mine do pretty okay without a very strict routine. I seriously wonder sometimes if the routine is more to help keep the human sane.
I will say, my goffin's was covered every night at her previous owner's house. She still seems to think she should be covered at sun set and I don't cover my birds. I've had her for I think 5ish years now. Routines are hard to break. I've found my wild caught birds to be more sensitive to routines however they are all raptors and that might just be a different deal entirely. However, it may just be that my captive breds pets started out life with minimal routine and they adjusted to it. I suspect it might be part of socialization during the baby phase that makes for a bird that can handle a shifting routine vs. one that can't.
You do things out of the norm (as I do) Melissa. You are not the "average" bird owner. You and your situation/experience/understanding have gone far beyond that. If you had one large bird in a cage in your living room and that was it (because we know that is how most parrots live) routine would become a vital part of your birds ability to cope and even thrive long term. They are naturally creatures of habit.

I have 3 tiny birds living freely with 2 large cockatoos in what I can say is real harmony (going on 4 yrs). Not something I would ever recommend anyone do or even try.

If you know what your doing and set things up right you can do a lot of things. Joe Schmo doesn't get it. I know you certainly get it. :)

Wonderbird

Meeting neighbors
My cockatiels weren't very healthy in the first place and both passed away pretty young :( They came to us eating seeds and we couldn't get them to eat anything healthier, so they ended up getting fatty livers and passing away. I've been reading up on how to train cockatoos to prevent behavior problems and how to keep them as healthy and happy as possible. I really just like cockatiels and cockatoos because I seem to connect with them the most. My brother doesn't want another cockatiel though because he was so close to one of them that he can't look at another cockatiel without getting upset.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
My brother doesn't want another cockatiel though because he was so close to one of them that he can't look at another cockatiel without getting upset.
This is your brothers problem that he needs to get over for his own good. If he couldn't handle that he sure as heck won't be able to handle a cockatoo.

Wonderbird

Meeting neighbors
I meant it as in that he really misses our cockatiel after he passed away, and he is reminded of our cockatiel whenever he looks at any cockatiel. But if you really don't want me getting a cockatoo, then I'll look at other birds :unsure1:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I really really don't want you to get a cockatoo

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
I agree John. Nelly's routine isn't written in stone either but she knows what to expect and I think it gives her some level of comfort.
What has made me sad about this whole post is although much of what has been said about the bad things about owning a TOO not all are like that. With the right research and patience and discipline they can be just as sweet as sny othe birds. It is a wild creature none the less. I would never give up my experiene owning a TOO and when she gives me bird kisses anything bad she might have done is forgotten.