• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cinnamon in Plants to Combat Gnats

antoniojoh

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Antonio
Hello. So I just brought home a new plant, a Ponytail Palm, which is non-toxic and safe around birds. I noticed a fungus gnat flying around so I put some ground cinnamon on top. This is just temporary until I get some cactus soil to repot it.

I know that real cinnamon is safe for birds, but I've read that this kind (containing Cassia) is toxic. However I am assuming this means by ingestion. Would the scent alone be harmful to my birds if I put the plant near their cages? I have two parrotlets.

I am not worried about them ingesting any because this plant is quite large and scary looking to a little parrotlet, and I supervise them constantly when they are out of their cages. I'm just curious about the scent alone. Thanks in advance.

antoniojoh

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Antonio
Hello. So I just brought home a new plant, a Ponytail Palm, which is non-toxic and safe around birds. I noticed a fungus gnat flying around so I put some ground cinnamon on top. This is just temporary until I get some cactus soil to repot it.

I know that real cinnamon is safe for birds, but I've read that this kind (containing Cassia) is toxic. However I am assuming this means by ingestion. Would the scent alone be harmful to my birds if I put the plant near their cages? I have two parrotlets.

I am not worried about them ingesting any because this plant is quite large and scary looking to a little parrotlet, and I supervise them constantly when they are out of their cages. I'm just curious about the scent alone. Thanks in advance.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
If its a temporary thing then why dont you wait until you repot it? Better safe than sorry. The smell may not hurt them but they may not like the smell.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It should be fine to use as long as your bird doesn’t consume any.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have never heard of the scent being toxic in and of itself.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's only a problem when ingesting :) It's not immediately toxic even then; it's more of a compounded effect over time as it is hard on the liver.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Actually, if your plants are in pots, and your only birds are parrotlets, your could get some sheets of stainless steel wire mesh and cut them to go over the soil, but around your plants to keep your birds safe.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m sure there is another thread with this same question which has been answered.
My battery is about to die so I’ll have to check later and merge threads if another @Staff member hasn’t already done it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I’m sure there is another thread with this same question which has been answered.
My battery is about to die so I’ll have to check later and merge threads if another @Staff member hasn’t already done it.
Got it!